1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Do I treat watery stool?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DeAnna314, Jan 10, 2011.

1. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have ten chickens. Half are 10 months and five are about 7 months. They have been housed together for some time. Today it snowed and they elected to stay inside (doesnt snow much here so I guess they were freaked out). I noticed tonight that somebody has watery stool. I also noticed some stool that was yellowish/orange-ish. I dont know what to do, if anything. Do they need medicine in the water for awhile? Do you know what kind? No one seems sick but I don't know. Help?

2. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Hens often get E-coli, a bacterial infection, causing diarreha.. parasites may do it also... Foamy yelllow droppings can indicate e -coli, or a respiratory infection... they can also indicate a normal cecal dropping ... Birds should not have diarreha .. not normal.
    many things can be treated with antibiotics, however you have to know what they have and which one to use ...

First, you should probably add poultry vitamins/ electrolytes to their waterer for 3 days. Follow package directions... this will give her/ them a boost, and won't hurt them at all. it will also slow down dehydration...

If it continues, you could take the poop in to a vet to do a fecal float test, to check for cocci , parasites, e-coli, or a respiratory infection... Should be a very minimal charge.. call around and see who will do it cheapest.. any vet should be able to handle it ...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    I will keep a close eye on them and adding vitamins might be a great idea. There are not bugs now and they are only getting their feed and scratch I through. Maybe I will see what I can take out from the kitchen as a treat. I will also take your advice and find a vet by calling around in case I need to take a sample in . Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by