HELP - DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH CHICK

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MsFlamethrower, Sep 16, 2016.

1. MsFlamethrower

MsFlamethrower New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Arizona
    My chick is acting lethargic and wants to be alone frequently. Her poop is chunky ans orange reddish, and she looks like she has possible dried blood around her end ? Could she be shedding her lining? I had gotten her today and I am very concearned.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Blood in the poop is a classic sign of coccidiosis. I'd start treating her and all her brooder mates with Corid right away.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  3. MsFlamethrower

MsFlamethrower New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Arizona
    How do i do that? And i hve adult chickens, should i keep her away from them?

4. MsFlamethrower

MsFlamethrower New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Arizona
    The poop itself doesnt appear to have blood. The poof is white and orange and chunky and stringy. Her end is red but im not sure if its blood or anything. The poop does not appear to have blood

5. MsFlamethrower

MsFlamethrower New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Arizona

6. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Did your adult chickens hatch her? If not they should not be with the adult chickens at this young age. Corid I think is a water soluble product so it goes it their water. Not sure as I have never used it. If the poop is a reddish brown then there is blood in it. If the chicks are with adult hens then yes remove them in to a brooder and you will have to treat the hens as well, since they have been in contact with her. wash her bottom well with warm water and get the yuckie off and see how it goes.

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yes I think we need a little more information. Where are the chicks being kept and how old are they exactly?

If you bought chicks that are only a few days old (which is what it sounds like) they need to be in a brooder with artificial heat, especially at night. They can't just be put in the coop with adults (asking if you need to keep it away from them makes us wonder if that's what you have done) so if that's what you have done it would explain them being lethargic. Also check what you have them on and that they know how to eat and drink. The broody hen would normally teach this, if they have no broody hen you need to show them. If they are eating their bedding it can cause problems too.

What are you feeding it?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  8. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I have the Corrid info on my phone, which I don't have around right now. You can find the info if you look it up. You will most likely find the Corrid for cattle. I "think" it is 1.5 tsp/gallon for five days. Please look for it... If someone doesn't come back with the info for you.

And welcome!!

9. MsFlamethrower

MsFlamethrower New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Arizona
    I do not keep my chicks with my hens, they have their own seperate space and they have their brooder. Just the two spaces are next to eachother within my yard and I do not know how fast it can spread. Im going to continue to watch my chick because she is not having visibly bloody poop but simply worrysome symptoms, ive been researching coccidiosis and her poop looks nothing like the hens who have it. However, hers looks like shes shedding her lining. I still want to be safe and i want to prevent the coccidiosis, so would it be okay to put maybe a lower dosage in the water for a bit? To see if that is the case i can fix it? Is it okay for chicks who are fine to have water with corid?

Im feeding my chicks starter chick feed/grow from my local feedstore.

10. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Ah that makes more sense then :).

Those shed linings can be quite off putting, many moons ago I remember posting something similar after a particularly red one and even bought the Corid but at the end of the day never used it because I decided it was just lining and that's what it must have been as they are still going strong 3 years later. I have found that changing food brands or from type (starter to grower) is when it happens most.

Because of the blocked up looking rear end I would read up on pasty butt. Also assess what bedding you have them on. Lots of people get pasty butt on fine shavings because they eat some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by