Help ... do you know what this is?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bonben, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Bonben

Bonben New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Any idea what this is? I've been treating it as wet pox. I was going to start stuff for canker. Do I need to try to "scrape" / rub it out? No other chick/ / chicken is showing signs of this and this sweet baby has been quarantined. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] sorry for the circumstances. It's hard to tell from the picture. Is that the chick's tongue? If so I would be concerned that something may be wrapped around the base of the tongue. (string, grass, etc.)

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to the forum. I agree with trying to figure out what the swollen object is first. Is a vet a possibility? I have only seen pictures of wet pox lesions in the throat and mouth, and they have never looked that large. Here are some links and pictures about wet pox and canker, but make sure that is not the tongue or some foreign object stuck in the mouth:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/195/fowl-pox/
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/digestive-problems/index.aspx

[​IMG]
    wet pox in a turkey's beak and throat

4. Bonben

Bonben New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Thank you guys for trying to help. It is not the tongue. I have looked and looked and researched. I was hoping someone else might have encountered this before. I cannot find any other picture like it. Thank you all again!

5. Bonben

Bonben New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    There have been no other spots on her at all. Her droppings look good. I am now giving her some water and food through a tube just to make sure that she is getting some nutrition. She still chirps and moves around. Her eyes look fine.

6. Bonben

Bonben New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today's pics :-(

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Metronidazole is affective against canker, if that is what the growth is. Flagyl and FishZole are some other brands, and a local vet could get it right away, plus help in diagnosis. A tumor should be ruled out. I sure hope you can get some help since it must be hard for her to breathe. Keep us up to date on her condition please.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by