Help...Does anyone know anything about Avian Encephalomyelitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, May 30, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Early March I brought home 4 bouncing baby Black Australorp girls from my local feed store. (not TSC). On the second day one of them started to get tiny head/neck tremors. They progressed to being so severe she nearly would fall over. She did not get severe paralyzation, but she was weak in the legs. She slept a LOT. During this time I hand fed her constantly to keep her eating and would pick her up and carry her to the waterer and dip her beak in the water to make sure she kept hydrated. The only other symptoms she had was foamy yellow diarrhea.

I spent the entire week doing research on the internet here on diseases with these symtoms and the only one that matched up with hers was AE.

This went on for one solid week. However one day the tremors just stopped and her appetite kicked back in and she regained strength. She had fallen behind on growth at the time, but eventually she completely recouperated and has now caught up with the others in size and health.

She will be 3 months old tomorrow and just this morning I am seeing some neck tremors and head pressing on her. They are mild and I am wondering if with AE do they get reoccuring symptoms, or am I dealing with something else here? Should I worry these tremors are going to get worse?

Does anyone have experience with this or know of any other disease that could be plaguing my 3 month old baby? It would kill me if I lost her.

Thanks...Leyla

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I don't but I did have a whole set of chickens that could not absorb (calcium in this case) minerals correctly.

This caused all but one to die of egg laying problems before 1 yr. (the "breeder" must have known... the little rat!)

Could you try to increase vitamins?

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    When she was a few days old, I did put her and all the rest of them on vitamins in the water so that she would get needed nutients.

And the thought did occur to me today that I might try doing this, putting vitamins in their water now, but I was unsure that additional vitamins plus their starter food, which they are still on might harm them. (vitamin overload).

She doesn't have any other symptoms and looks completely normal today. But if you watch her while she is resting, (I can really watch closely as she loves to sit in my lap and I can see her very clearly), she will have occasional neck tremors. Very slight but they are there.

Thank you for the heads up on the vitamin issue. I may give them all a dose a few times a week and see how it goes.

Anybody else out there that has had AE in any of their chickens and can help me figure out what is really going on?

Thanks... [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Anyone else?

5. brigittej

brigittej Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    Did you ever figure out what to do? Have a chick that matches the descriptions of AE....was told to euthanize, but just can't do it! She's improved a bunch since antibiotics, but still acts odd. She eats and drinks so want to give her a chance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by