Help... Does hen have Marek's?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 812mommyof4, Feb 15, 2015.

1. 812mommyof4

812mommyof4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2015
    I have a hen about 7 months old. Her sister passed away about 1 month ago for no reason. I thought she was going through depression. She seemed to stay by herself, head slunk down and sleeping by herself also. I have a flock of 26. 20 hens and 6 roosters. All bantams.
    I went into the coop last week and found her on her side unable to stand or walk properly. I immediately brought her inside and started helping her eat. She seems to have trouble pecking the food. Like her head falls to the side and she misses what she wanted to get. She won't bend down to get it. I have to hold it right infront of her face inorder for her to eat. I also have to syringe feed her water. I put and electrolyte , probiotic mix in her water.
    She is healthy otherwise. I have only found a few bugs on her. Not sure if they are live or mites. I'm fairly new to chicken keeping. The oldest in my flock is only 2. Everyone else appears to be healthy as well.
    If this is Marek's how do I go about vaccinating everyone.
    I have 2 broody hens now with chicks to be due on about 1 week so I'm kinda in panic mode as to what this problem is.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. 812mommyof4

Feb 14, 2015
    Thank you! I'm just learning how to post on here. I posted in new member area about Marek's question. Do you know how I can move that to illness forum?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Just open a new thread in the disease section. I hope your hen gets well!

5. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    Welcome to BYC. Try to PM casportpony for advice and help. She is amazing.

6. 812mommyof4

Feb 14, 2015
    Thank you

7. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    Top of page to the right side there is a blue envelope and "private message" click on that. Once in that page it is just like sending a email. Compose is to the left. Once there enter casportpony in the to box.
    Got it?

1 person likes this.
  8. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in a PM!!

Good luck with the flock!!

-Turkenstein25

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry to hear about your sick hen![​IMG] It could very well be Mareks, but there are lots of other things that can cause paralysis (moldy feed, weakness because of mites/lice, heart attack/stroke, heat stress, vitamin deficiency, neurological problem/injury to the head, worms, even Coccidiosis). The only real way to determine Marek's is to have a necropsy done on her if she dies. I suggest treating for lice and mites, keeping her isolated from the other birds, and starting some poultry vitamins. This may help. If it is Marek's, supportive care is all you can really do, as there is no treatment.

Check out this article for more information on Marek's Disease: The Great Big Giant Marek's Disease FAQ

Good luck with your bird! I hope it isn't Mareks, as that is such an awful disease.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Wyandottes gave you some good threads. It would be best IF she passes to have the vet do the necropsy so you know what it was for sure. Mareks survivors carry it for the rest of their lives. I think chicks can only be vaccinated within a day or so of hatch. It might lessen the impact of the disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by