HELP! does my hen have marek's, or is it just an injured leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deannas99, Aug 11, 2014.

1. deannas99

deannas99 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    :(hello everyone, thank you for coming to my post! I am struggling with figuring out wether my two month old hen has marek's disease, or is just recovering from a hurt leg/hip. About a week ago, I noticed my hen, "mopsy" was having trouble moving around the run, and was sort of limping. I decided to remove her from the coop, and put her in a crate, with food and water close by. I have observed that she has no interest nor desire to get up and go anywhere. when I bring snacks to her, she gets excited and try's to stand up, but falls on the right side. When she lays down, she tends to lay her right leg all the way out to the side of her, while her left leg remains under her. I was reading up on the symptoms, and mopsy's eyes seem normal, and her poo has been normal (not runny or greenish in color.) I am getting really worried, because he can't walk, nor try's too. she has been eating awesome for me, and I am constantly hand feeding her to make sure, she is getting enough food. However, I never see her drink. So does this sound like marek's to you? Or do you think she hurt her leg/ hip. I did check her leg and there are no bumps, but when I do touch her leg, she pulls it up. if her leg was paralyzed she wouldn't be able to move it right? Thank you so much for your time, and I'm sorry this was kind of scattered, I am just really looking for some answers, I don't want to loose my girl

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That sounds like a leg injury to me. It sounds like a hip injury since the leg sticks out. And she must be drinking or you'd think she'd dehydrate by now.....Maybe she just does it when you're not looking.

If she seems bright eyed, and gets excited for food, then I don't think she's sick....just injured. She's just probably most comfortable sitting......You know, don't move and it won't hurt.

Honestly, I don't know how you'd fix a chicken's hip. :/

3. WeBeCluckin

WeBeCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    I'm really sorry you and your girl are going through this. It's really stressful not knowing what's going on and not knowing how to help. I just had to put down one of my kids' favorite pullet, Willow. She was started showing the same symptoms as yours and over 3 weeks her symptoms progressed to the point where both legs were affected and she couldn't stand at all. No balance even sitting so she would fall over on her side just trying to preen or itch with her beak. It was so heartbreaking to watch deteriorate. I sent her in for necropsy (the lab just received her today) and I'm just hoping it wasn't Mareks. Sorry I don't have any advice to offer...just a little support to let you know you're not alone. Wishing you the best.
    Sarah

4. deannas99

deannas99 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Thank you so much Sarah! It's really awesome to know, that people are here for each other, & have been through similar situation! I am so very sorry for your loss, I couldn't imagine having to put down my pullet mopsy. After examining her some more, I think it is some type of leg/hip injuriy, crossing my fingurs it's something she'll over come. Let me know, when the test comes back, what was really wrong with willow!

5. deannas99

deannas99 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicmom: thank you so much for responding, it really means a lot! After examining her some more, I think it is just some type of hip injury, I'm going to do some more research, and hopefully this is something she can recover from! Do you think the vet could do something? I want to take her, but at the same time if they can't really do anything, I don't want to go and spend a fortune for nothing! Thanks again:)

6. WeBeCluckin

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    I certainly will. And do update with Mopsy's condition. Funny, you gave me a tickle of hope and shes not even my bird! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    |If you think it is likely she has a leg/hip injury you can try her in a chick chair...it will relieve her from the pressure she is putting on her leg...chick chairs are wonderful for leg injuries...it would be a good idea to pm chickenzoo..she has the most amazing chicken chair diagram....

8. WeBeCluckin

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    Update on Willow:
    Just received the necropsy results "suggestive of neurologic form of Marek’s disease." The lab is going to look at some samples under the microscope for further diagnosis. I just really want to hear it's not Marek's so I can quit holding my breath for the rest of my flock!
    How's Mopsy coming along? Did you try the chicken sling?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  9. Mommyheim

Mommyheim Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    I know this is an old post but was wondering if Mopsy ever recovered. My Dottie is showing the same symptoms. She tries to walk but seems to fall over and her wing is dropping. But otherwise, she is fine. She eats and drinks. No lesions on her legs, not lethargic, and her eyes look normal. I'm hoping she is just injured and doesn't have Marek's!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by