Help! Does she have Egg Yolk Peritonitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldDogsMom, Sep 17, 2011.

1. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. possibly a white rock from TSC, 1 1/2 yrs old, normal weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly. very pale, shrunken comb, acts like needs to "go" or lay an egg (Squatting and pushing) "Laid" a yellow hard yolky mass last night and this am

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? started almost a month ago but then she was very lethargic, slept on floor, too weak to get on roost then, seemed to be getting better and took a turn for the worse yesterday

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. vent was swollen and almost appears prolapsed

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. normal eating habits, layer feed, scratch in the am and fruit/veggie scraps

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? antibiotic from feed store for 5 days (don't know what), yogurt/oatmeal mixture for first week, warm soak/oiled vent in case eggbound, and massaged crop in case of impaction, neither egg bound/crop seemed to be the issue-All of this was done during the first 2 wks and then she seemed to be improving...

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? treating myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. no pic, can take one if needed

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use coop with pine chip bedding and attached run, occasionally free ranging

She is now separated in a cage,

I have looked at other posts here and not sure what I should be doing, Any suggestions???

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Seriously looking for help here...

3. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Anyone???

4. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    I am not very knowledgeable about the medical stuff like some members, but at least this will give you a bump.

Is her abdomen swollen and squishy like a balloon? Or does it feel hard like there might be something (like an egg) stuck inside? Squishy might indicate egg yolk peritonitis (internal laying), hard might indicate she is egg bound (you mention that she seems to be trying to expell something). If after the antibiotics she seemed better, but went downhill again once you stopped them, you might be dealing with peritonitis. Unfortunately, long term prognosis for this is poor, as it just keeps returning everytime they lay again. Sorry I wasn't more help.

5. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    If you suspect EYP, you must get her on either Baytril 22.7 / 2x day or penicillian ..... you have to hit the disease hard and fast!!! Look up SpeckledHen's posts about eyp and penicillian.....you can purchase the penicillian at feed stores. Baytril is from the vet or some feed stores too...

6. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Texas, all advice is welcome and I appreciate you responding, I am pretty sure it's peritonitis...

Spintster, neither of those antibiotics are available to me without going to the vet so...while waiting for a response I ran to town and my local feed guy gave me a general antibiotic to try. She is still eating, drinking and active so I have hope that I can save her, not sure though what she will do longterm. Thanks for the advice.

I know lots of people here treat their chickens like pets and mine are treated well but they are farm animals and I have them for their eggs...hope that doesn't offend anyone, just a fact of life.

Again thanks for your help!

7. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Don't use Baytril if you want to get eggs or meat from her. It's not approved for poultry and illegal to use in chickens (in the US)!

8. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:I didn't but...if she does get better will I EVER get another egg from her anyway?

9. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Nine months later, as I'm doing a search for "Egg Yolk Peritonitis", I came across your thread. What ever happened to that chicken? Did you get a firm diagnosis? And then....?

10. chicken tows

chicken tows Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Sonoma County
    Warning, photos graphic, but hope they help someone.

I did not realize my hen had Peritonitis until this morning. Over the last month here are the symptoms that I have observed.
    • Mess vent - treated as if vent gleet ( bath, ACV, medicated powder) pink skin attributed to yeast (my bad)
    • When she walked she would stretch her leg up to touch her belly
    • Last few days, comb and beak are dark, white watery poo, lethargic
    • vent/abdomen enlarged and hard

While I did not think to take before photos, I thought these after photos along with the deception may help someone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by