Help! Does the rooster stay or go?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Zigmont, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    In the past, I have not had luck with a gentle roo. I though this time would be ok. I raised him and carry him and he was perfect with the four hens. My easter egger was killed by a hawk, so I bought two little girls. After a very slow introduction, everything seemed fine until they started to lay!

Suddenly all heck has broken loose. As he mates, the others attack their heads. Two weeks ago, they all ganged and pinned Buffy in the pen and ripped a hole in her head. if we didn't happen upon them, I am certain she would be dead. After a trip to the vet and separating them in an adjacent pen, she is healing. Now, I can't even let them free range together without him attacking the little ones. He is extra aggressive with them and opened her head up again last evening. The rooster is attacking my son and my husband. He is better with me, but we have little children who come to visit the farm.

Here is my question: Is this temporary because it is spring and they are maturing or are they really out to kill them? My husband thinks they will end up killing them and if we get rid of the roo, things will calm down. they roost together at night, but I am running out at the crack of dawn to separate them. I can't live like this. I got them to enjoy, not to get attacked. He is about a year old now and is a Dominique. I know they tend to be very aggressive. Any one have any thoughts? I am really agonizing over this...

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    No need to agonize, I understand. I've been through quite a few roos before finding a "good" rooster that would take care of his hens and watch over them rather than mating all the time. Get rid of your rooster. My experience has been...the older the rooster, the better.

3. Zigmont

Oct 29, 2011
    Thanks so much. I feel bad, because I think his fate will end up being dinner for my neighbor. I don't know anyone who wants a mean rooster.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Our feed store takes all unwanted birds and resells them. You could also put him on craigslist if you wish. The dinner plate is just as good, your neighbor will be pleased. You cant have a roo attacking children, especially if they arnt yours, there could be liability issues.

5. Zigmont

Oct 29, 2011
    If I could get him a good home, I would much prefer that, but I agree about the children. I can't take any chances with children getting hurt.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Get rid of him. Try out another.

I had avoided owning roos due to a childhood experience with the worst roo on the planet. I had chickens, ducks and geese for several years before I finally decided to keep a roo. Wouldn't you know it...my first roo was an unholy terror almost as bad as the roo from my childhood. I put him in the stew pot. My second roo has proven to be a keeper. I originally got him as a free meal, but he was so pretty I decided to give him a try. I am glad I did. He is a good boy. If he hadn't been a good boy he, too, would have gone in the pot. And I would have tried out a third roo.

There are too many good roos looking for a home to tolerate a big jerk. Eat him and move on to the next one.

Good luck.

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    No need to get rid of him. Just keep him in his own pen. Does not have to be expensive - even a large open weaved basket or dog cage. You can keep it in the hens run. Make sure its sheltered from the rain.

You can let him out when you are there to supervise, or when the hens are locked in the coop. You can also keep handling him and picking him up - so he knows you are boss - and also gets to know you are not dangerous. Get the rest of the family to do it too. Give him treats too, but if he starts acting up chase him about and pick him up - hold him till he calms down and then put him down again.

I think that he is just young and hormones are raging. As he ages he should clam right down. Also the hens will get used to him if they can see him in his pen every day - through the safely of the wire.

I have several roosters that were nasty when younger, but now they are older they are more lazy and act more like gentlemen around the ladies.

If you do get rind of him and want another rooster, I recommend you get an older rooster.

Good luck.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you can't eat him yourself, I'd give him to the neighbor. I personally would not sell or give away a mean rooster. Why pass your problem on to someone else? (I don't think you can find a "good home" for a mean rooster anyway - most people would eat him). Another reason to get rid of him - you have kids of your own, and small children who visit your place. You do NOT want him harming your child or someone else's. He is a liability. Yes, you could keep him in a small pen or cage, but what kind of life is that for him? You could let him out when you're around to supervise, but how much time to you have to babysit your chickens? Do you constantly want to have to be breaking up fights? If you don't enjoy him, make him go away. Get an older rooster of a known gentler breed. My brahma is a great rooster! He's not people-aggressive at all. I don't make a pet out of him. We have an understanding. I go out there, he wanders off, keeps his distance.

9. Zigmont

Oct 29, 2011
    Thank you for all of your advice. I appreciate it. I agree that eventually he would probably settle down, but I am afraid he will kill one of my little girls in the meantime. He isn't mean with me and respects my distance and that is why I think he might make a good pet for someone with either big, older hens or no hens as long as the owner is familiar with how to work with a rooster. I have worked with him and he knows if he even acts like he's thinking of attacking me, I pin him down and carry him. I never wanted a rooster because the last one I had we did have to kill because I would never give anyone a mean rooster. This one is nothing like him, but he is still not good for us. I will look for a home, but I think the neighbor is going to end up enjoying him. I can't kill him, and the kids would be horrified if I tried to feed him to them. I would hate to waste a healthy big roo by killing him and just buying him. He may as well be a good meal for the neighbor and his family.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I commend you on a logical intelligent decision. Such decisions are difficult to reach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by