Help... Dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by monicaei1, Sep 22, 2010.

1. monicaei1

monicaei1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Hi

My chicken coop was breeched by a friends dog!!! Found the dog with the Hot Wings in her mouth, forcibly removed Wings from her mouth, and now I don't know what to do. She's limping, a wing is clearly missing feathers, and under the wing as well. I sprayed Blue Kote on the visible injuries. She seems almost disoriented. I am not sur what else to do

2. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    Did the dog rip of her wing or is it still attached?

3. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    I would definatley get her in a secluded safe and warm place ...she is probably in shock and needs to feel safe and secure while your treating her..give her lots of water and depending on the wounds you may need to clean it well with some surgical scrub/betadine and then apply an antibiotic

4. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Separate her from the others and make sure she is taking water first off. Food can wait for a day or two but water is crucial. (I'd have food there, but not to worry right now if she's not wanting any). If she settles down tonight and then appears hungry and/or thirsty tomorrow and begins to drink and eat then she will be OK.

Also, assessing whether she has any external injuries would be good. Don't worry about the missing feathers. It may take a while, but they will grow back when she molts. If there are external injuries you need to treat them with neosporin. The blue-kote is good too. It dries up external wounds and protects the wounds. Others here will likely suggest an antibiotic. (I never did and my roo has healed up fine). I did get pedialyte from the drug store (for babies with diarrhea.... has electrolytes and vitamins.) I gave him this from an eyedropper and then a spoon for the first few days because he wouldn't even drink on his own. But other than that and the blue-kote.... I didn't use any other medicines.

Chickens are pretty hardy. Let us know what's happening with her in the morning. Hopefully she'll get over the shock by morning and be on her way to health.

5. monicaei1

Jun 16, 2009
    Wing still attached, and can't get close enough to her at the moment to do further assessment. She is huddled in the corner of the coop that I can't get to, and I don't want to upset her further by prying her out. Will get her tonight after they go to bed. Ugh. I feel sick. This is just awful. She is bobbing her head and acting weird and limping. More to come

6. monicaei1

Jun 16, 2009
    Ok, I have her in the laundry room in a rubbermaid tub, top secured with chicken wire. There is blood dried on her leg, which I can't identify the source of. A big portion of the wing, above the flight feathers, is missing, but I can't tell if it's just feathers or an actual wound. Above the tail, there is a big white patch of flesh exposed. I sprayed this with blue kote as well. I gave her water, but she is not interested. Lights are off and she is just resting. What should I do with her tomorrow? I have to go to work, and I'm not sure I can keep a chicken in the laundry room!!! Let's be honest, that's gonna get "fowl" quick.

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Heat lamp, quarantine, water with electrolytes and good food for her. [​IMG] So sorry this happened to you!!

8. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Do you have a dog crate? I use that for my chickens when they are sick & unfortunatley if you have it in your house it can get stinky fast. DE will help with stinkiness.
    Sounds stupid but when I had a sick hen I spoon fed her crumbles soaked in Pedialyte. For some reason she like to be spoon fed and it encouraged her to drink and eat. Your poor girl is probably in complete shock. Just keep her quiet for a bit and let her calm down.

9. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I agree. I started with just a spoon full of pedialyte in the morning and another at night. Then after a couple of days feed her crumbles in pedialyte before you go to work and then again once you get home. I was surprised how little it took to keep my roo going. He ate basically nothing for a week and only a small amount of water twice a day. But once he got feeling better, he started drinking on his own and then eating and now he's made a full recovery. You will be amazed.

So.... just a bit of water in the morning and then again at night for a few days. I would leave a bit of mash (the pedialyte with crumbles mixed in) in the pen with her. That way if she does get hungry, she can help herself. But don't make too much or you'll just be throwing it out.

10. monicaei1

Jun 16, 2009
    Thanks all. I moved her into a dog crate, large dog size, the metal grate kind, with the plastic liner and shredded newspaper. Got her pedialyte, but haven't seen her drink it. She did take two sips of plain water this morning. Can't decide if she is more comfortable with more space and a view and the other three investigating her than she was in the tub. But that's simply too small and funky. She's on the patio next to the window so I can keep a close eye on her. She still not moving around, but she seems alert and ok.

I don't feed crumbles, we use pellets. Will this work to make a mash? Made a salad for lunch and tried to hand fed her some baby spinach, which she grabbed and spit out. Didn't seem to recognize it as food. I think she was trying to bite it, or me.

On a different note, what's with the blue kote?? It's worse than permanent marker. Ruined a manicure that's two days old!!! And I only get one a few times a year for special occasions. Least of my problems, but I am walking around with purple hands.

Thank you all so much for the help. Hot Wings thanks you too. (and Gumbo, and Noodle Soup, and Jerk!)

Monica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by