Help! Dog attacked chicken, huge open wound

Bordemkills

Hatching
Feb 19, 2019
hello
Today our 8 month old Doberman got a hold of one of our hens. She has a very large wound on her side, there is quite a bit of exposed muscle. She is standing, eating and drinking. We have cleaned it and put Neosporin on it as well as non stick gauze. Do we want to be dress it or leave it open to the air just keep it moist? She is in the house in her own little space while we treat her wound. Any advice is appreciated picture attached

Hi @Bordemkills and welcome :frow
I am no expert in injuries but there are people here who will be able to give you the advice you need.
Until they arrive, I do know you should not cover the wound so leave it open and definitely keep it moist! Keep her separated, and the wound clean as you have done.
Your picture did not load and the experts will want to see the injury so if you can try posting again please that would really help.
In the meantime make sure the little one is drinking. Keeping her hydrated is really important right now.
Best wishes and hopefully someone will be along shortly!

975B3E1D-8F8C-4652-98FB-D099EBB3FAF4.jpeg
975B3E1D-8F8C-4652-98FB-D099EBB3FAF4.jpeg
Photos would help.
Are we talking deep punctures, or an open gash, or both? Open, shallow wounds are best protected in some way, deep punctures need to be left open to drain.

I already see that you’re doing a good job cleaning it. :highfive:

Never be afraid to use the sink sprayer to flush out a huge wound like that, or a bottle of saline rinse.

Chickens love the blow dryer. Bring a book in the bathroom with you though because it takes a long time. Plan on an hour.

While she’s healing, she’ll have to stay indoors, and away from her flock mates, obviously.
A dog crate makes a good temporary coop. Even a big cardboard box with towels or puppy pads in the bottom. No wood shavings or other material that would contaminate her injury.

It’s a big gash. Not gonna lie.
But you’ll be amazed at how well and quickly a chicken can heal.
Are there any corresponding wounds on the underneath?
Check carefully. Even a small one, If left untreated, will most definitely get infected while you’re focusing on the big wound.

If a vet visit isn’t an option, you need to really “schmear” that whole wound with antibiotic ointment, veterycin spray gel, Manuka honey... something to keep it moist so it doesn’t dry out, a few times a day.
Dry skin = death to tissue
this moisture blanket serves a dual purpose of keeping it moist while keeping it from getting infected.

I’d also give her a feather trim all the way around just to clear yourself some workspace and keep dirty feathers from contaminating the wound bed.

Back
Top Bottom