Help! Dog Attacks Hen ( Graphic Photos )

Lacy Duckwing

𝓓𝓾𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓟𝓱𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓻𝓪𝓹𝓱𝔂
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Help! A dog attacked my hen Vienna. Her back is torn from on side to the other. I've been clipping away some of her back feathers. What can I do for her back?
IMG_20190314_193530.jpg
IMG_20190314_193548.jpg
IMG_20190314_193609.jpg
IMG_20190314_193620.jpg
IMG_20190314_193643.jpg
1552606915853-1309727295.jpg

What do you have for disinfecting a wound? Betadin (povidone iodine,) chorhexidene (Hibiclens,) and Vetericyn or Teracyn Wound Spray is good to use. Plain antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment are good after disinfecting, and then twice a day. You can also use Dawn and a kitchen sink sprayer to gently wash her wounds if ahe seems stable. Then dry her well with a blow dryer. Leave it open, and do not cover the wound. Place her on a clean towel in a,basket or dog crate.

Make sure any deep puncture wounds stay open for a day or two, to help prevent abscess. Listen for any air leaking in the wound. Dogs can crush and cause internal injuries.

Is she able to stand and walk? Will she drink water or eat anything yet? They can be in shock for a bit afterward, so if that is so, keep her in a quiet dim room. Separate from her flock and keep her warm.

What do you have for disinfecting a wound? Betadin (povidone iodine,) chorhexidene (Hibiclens,) and Vetericyn or Teracyn Wound Spray is good to use. Plain antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment are good after disinfecting, and then twice a day. You can also use Dawn and a kitchen sink sprayer to gently wash her wounds if ahe seems stable. Then dry her well with a blow dryer. Leave it open, and do not cover the wound. Place her on a clean towel in a,basket or dog crate.

Make sure any deep puncture wounds stay open for a day or two, to help prevent abscess. Listen for any air leaking in the wound. Dogs can crush and cause internal injuries.

Is she able to stand and walk? Will she drink water or eat anything yet? They can be in shock for a bit afterward, so if that is so, keep her in a quiet dim room. Separate from her flock and keep her warm.
I have hydrogen peroxide, bag balm, and some Neosporin.

wash your hands and try to put gloves on if possible.

If you have cotton balls put hydrogen peroxide on that and carefully wipe the wound. It may be easier if you cut the surrounding feathers off to access the wound easier. Then you will want to gently rub on neosporin.

Is the bird indoors or outside?
Is it moving or walking around?
Is it showing sights of shock?
Can you go to a local feed store and pick up some items?
Is it eating or drinking?

If you can answer these questions i can help more and recommend certain things to help.

Back
Top Bottom