Help! Dog got ahold of 5wk chick, advice on injuries and healing!

farmlady2021

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
Yesterday my dog got ahold of one of our 5wk speckled Sussex chicks (this one is so tiny being a runt and it can hop out of the fence whereas none of the others can). I don’t know if he was bringing it to me since it got out or what, but the chicks feathers at the tip of its wing is off of the skin. Today it is walking around better and acts like it wants to eat but when it gets excited or starts breathing heavy then I hear a clicking noise, does this mean it is hurt internally? Also it has runny poop. Any advice is greatly appreciated! He is in my garage confined away from the other chicks in the coop!
C83CA7B7-26A7-4084-AF49-5F4B748B4A9A.jpeg

Attachments

• 663FE6AC-3395-43E2-ABA5-DF08C5BB915A.jpeg
    663FE6AC-3395-43E2-ABA5-DF08C5BB915A.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 0
  • B24FA6EA-E71E-4B8B-8643-EF5D1E3EE3AC.jpeg
    B24FA6EA-E71E-4B8B-8643-EF5D1E3EE3AC.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
They aren’t the best, I got this from a video I made this morning. It’s very hard to hold it still and pull its wing back to take a picture but it’s really no puncture wound but almost like the feathers and top layer of skin slid off a little but it goes behind the wing on the underside on that “elbow” bone there. It’s poop is also more solid now and pretty much normal and it’s hoping around good and eating.

Just keep her warm, give her electrolytes or nutri-drench in her water and put Neosporin with NO pain relief or veterciyn on it 2-3 times a day to keep it from getting infected. Best to keep moist so you could get veterciyn and spray that on it then apply the Neosporin. She should be just fine as long as she’s eating, drinking and the doggy didn’t squeeze her and crack any bones, which I doubt happened because you probably would have already noticed

They aren’t the best, I got this from a video I made this morning. It’s very hard to hold it still and pull its wing back to take a picture but it’s really no puncture wound but almost like the feathers and top layer of skin slid off a little but it goes behind the wing on the underside on that “elbow” bone there. It’s poop is also more solid now and pretty much normal and it’s hoping around good and eating.
Is she drinking normally?

Just keep her warm, give her electrolytes or nutri-drench in her water and put Neosporin with NO pain relief or veterciyn on it 2-3 times a day to keep it from getting infected. Best to keep moist so you could get veterciyn and spray that on it then apply the Neosporin. She should be just fine as long as she’s eating, drinking and the doggy didn’t squeeze her and crack any bones, which I doubt happened because you probably would have already noticed
I will get some electrolytes tomorrow and I’ll put some neosporin on it here shortly! I have noticed you can hear a little clicking noise when she starts breathing really heavy (like when she gets excited and wants to run when I change her gauze) so I was worried about that as well!

Back
Top Bottom