Help! Dogs won't eat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by seminolewind, Oct 7, 2012.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    We have 2 dogs. One is 9 and one is 16. They just stopped eating. They look a little tired. They won't take treats or anything. Nothing. Not anything has changed. For 6 years, they've had the same yard, never left out long, same food, no contact with other dogs. I'm sure we'll get to the vet Monday, but anyone have some ideas?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Check the color of the gums. If the membrane is pale or dark red take them to a vet now. Since both dogs are suddenly sick I'm wondering if they ate something they shouldn't. Snatched something off the ground (dead animal) or snacked from the garbage can. Both dogs are elderly and will dehydrate quickly if not drinking water. If they develop diarrhea or start vomiting-get them to a vet.

Otherwise, keep them quiet and comfortable until you get them to a vet on Monday.

Good luck, I hope they get better.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    How long have they gone without any food?

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Bare foot farm, it's now day 3. They have been drinking, and I changed their water to bottled water. No garbage can. The only foreign thing that may have gotten in the yard is the kid next door throws some bread over the fence. I guess we'll be calling the vet tomorrrow.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Make them some boiled rice. Add chicken broth or small bits of chicken if you have it. See if they'll eat that.

Sounds like they've either eaten something bad or are rejecting their food for some reason. Any loose stools? Could their food have gone bad?

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    check their food/treats to see if any of them are under a recall. Any reports of people poisoning dogs in your area? Any neighbors been complaining about mice/rats/squirrels/moles who might have put out poison bait? Have you done any home repairs or car maintenance? 3 days of not eating is a LONG time for dogs that age.

7. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

My vet told me if a dog goes off it's feed for more than a day, you need to have it seen ASAP because it indicates several serious conditions, and hours count. If your dogs are not eating, there is probably a reason, and a vet can do bloodwork for toxins and organ problems.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I checked for recalls, none. We did toss the food. I don't use poison, if by chance there was a poisoned rat or something, one of them would not eat it.

Tomorrow's Monday and we will call the vet. But it's nice to have people throw ideas out there till then. At least it keeps me busy while I'm waiting.

9. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    I hope your dogs are ok and you see a vet soon, it seems very odd that they are both off their food but still drinking and they don't have sickness or diahorea (sp) I would try rice and fish or boiled egg X

10. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We always cook ground beef and rice for the dogs when they stop eating or are not feeling well. Our rescue dog did not eat for 2 days when we first got her, but she gobbled up our rice mix. The same went for my elderly dog when he had seizures. He would not eat anything except the ground beef and rice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by