HELP: Doing bumble foot surgery NOW.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeffross1968, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, so we did all our research, got all of our supplies ready, cut out the top scab, and dug out "a little" stuff. Her condition wasn't as bad as many pictures I've seen...not as advanced. So now we're wondering if we got all of it. It doesn't look completely clean. How far should we be cutting into the foot? We've spent a lot of time running the foot under water and massaging, but...just worried we don't have it all out. How can you tell when you are done? Ugh...really hating this...

2. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We're thinking about doing the iodine/sugar poultice now that the scab and plug are out.

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, so we cut out what we could. At that point, we did the sugar/iodine poultice. Her other foot had an even less severe case, so we soaked and peeled off the scab, and applied the poultice wrap on that foot too.

So my question is, if we decide to switch to neosporin tomorrow, will that be ok? And then we'd leave the foot wrapped for a few days. From what I've read, doing the poultice means wrapping it anew every day for a few days...

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    You're doing fine! Soak the foot in salt water for about 10 minutes after you made the cut. Then lather the wound in neosporin, wrap in vet wrap and then administer antibiotics. Good luck!

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I've read so much that says no antibiotics are needed...I don't know what to think...

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I just use antibiotics as a precaution. Figured it is an infection, so should be treated with antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by