Help? Don't help? HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bagawk, Jan 15, 2013.

1. bagawk

bagawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    I have two eggs hatching right now. They were supposed to hatch late on the 13th or early on the 14th of January. Today my son called, very excited. He said one of them is raising heck and pecked a hole in the egg and there's a little V cut in the membrane. It's moving around in there and pushed a piece off without breaking the membrane more than the original V.

He said the chip in the egg was discovered around 1 pm today. It's almost 7. I know this doesnt go fast.

I am using a little Giant Incubator. I have water in the bottom. Temp is 100. There is water in the rings in the bottom and I've added a damp sponge. Theres a little humidity accumulating on the windows at the top. However, the membrane of the egg that is exposed is dry looking. I see no veins. The little peep is rubbing it's beak on the membrane but nothing further has happened.

Should I help?
    Wait?
    Wait how long?
    What point do I help?
    Do I not bother helping?
    Can I just nail my foot to the floor and run in a circle and panick? ... that might make me feel better, though it will accomplish nothing.

The other egg is not peeping but it's clearly got a big crack in it from something pushing inside. It's moving occasionally, though I've yet to hear pipping from it.

OMG I can't stand the excitement it's worse than Christmas!!!!!!!!!

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    They can be pipped for 12 to 24 hours and still be ok .

3. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    CONGRATS!![​IMG]
    Just leave them go. an enjoy the show.
    It is hard to hatchout and sometimes they do just crack the shell and sit there for hours... Hes in an air pocket if he is pipping toward the big end he will be fine and as soon as he gets some energy he will do more
    . Dont try and help or open the incubator AT ALL until a least 24 hours or more have gone by and one is still at pip from the day before Often they crack it and then it takes many hours 5 10 to get zipping. the whle processmay take until the morning.
    It is nerve wracking but fun to see I think i would bring fthe humidity t down a little to about 80 if you can .Dont add more water at all 100 is al ittle high
    The membrane might look dry but its fine for now. .GOOD LUCK and let us know pICS LATER...

4. bagawk

bagawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

This is what I've got so far. He poked that hole and the membrane is white. I was under the impression I'd be able to see in the membrane. LIke I said I've got a moist cloth in there, water in the water spot ... this doesnt look like the photos I've seen.

Figures. First ever egg hatch and my birds have to be neurotic and do strange things ... just like the parents. Oh boy. Speshul birds.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    The outer membraine is fine if it looks like that its kinda papery , its the one inside that has problems but it hasnt been that long so I bet there just resting , give them some time and dont open the bator .

6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Looks great! It isstressfduland yu want so bad to help but dont!! dont open it either
    Hes got a hole open to get air Might t ake until tomorrow.to come out...Ater external pip they have to get there lungs working and use to breathing air
    If you help too soon there are veins that are trying to dry up and his yolk is getting absorbed so you could kill him.
    When its all finished he will come out.
    Its fine they are a day or so late. No biggy

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

below is a paste from the article......

BREATHE!That’s right, take a deep breath, calm your nerves and RELAX!
    There is no rush to get a chick out of the shell!

"The developing embryo has lived in this shell for well over 3 weeks.
    It has survived off of the contents of the egg for that entire time. The only thing it has absorbed from the outside is Oxygen.
    As long as the chick is getting Oxygen, there is nothing urgent. Too many people feel the need to rush in and pull a chick out of a place that has served it well for 3-4 weeks. There should be no rush to get a chick out of the shell if it can breathe. As long as it has access to air through the pip, it can sit there all day, even after the blood vessels recede. It's not going to starve. It has plenty of yolk. It's not going to dehydrate, unless you get impatient and begin removing shell before it's time to do so causing bleeding or too much exposure to outside air."
    http://www.avianresources.com/Nursery_Mgt.htm

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Update?

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2