Help! Don't know what these are....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LauraB, Aug 22, 2011.

1. LauraB

LauraB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Chicagoland
    This is a rare bird that we got free when we ordered other chicks... can't figure out what it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This bird we 'adopted' from the farm I work at. Someone just dropped it off in the office when it was a few days old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Which hatchery did the first one come from? It's looking a lot like a White Leghorn, but that's not a rare breed... [​IMG]

The second one looks like my favorite kind of chicken... A "Barnyard Mix"! [​IMG]

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The first looks like it could be a white Cornish. Can you get a better pic of its head? It would also help to see it standing naturally as Cornich tend to have a very distinct stance.

I would have to agree that the second one looks like a barnyard cross.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not a White Cornish, but instead it is a Buff Laced / White Laced Red Cornish. They're often found in hatcheries like McMurray and because of the poor quality lacing, can indeed be mostly white. Notice the feathers, there's some brown in the center of many of them. As the bird matures, it will increase.

Unless the chick is really dirty? [​IMG]

5. LauraB

LauraB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Chicagoland
    Quote:We got them from McMurray Hatchery. I was thinking that it might be a White Leghorn bantam, which I didn't think was rare either. The picture that I posted this morning is actually about a month old, I just haven't had a chance to take any new pictures. She isn't much bigger now than in this picture.

The other one has grown quite a bit in size and she is more a solid color now.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    After looking through McMurray's bantam breeds...

S/He must be either a White Japanese or maybe a Red Pyle Old English Game Bantam pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by