help!!! don't know what to do about it

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rendonhen, Feb 12, 2009.

1. rendonhen

rendonhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    rendon, tx
    [​IMG] we recieved our first batch of chicks. one did not make it very well. It's leg is stiff and sticking straight out. He has been picked at alot and the other chicks won't stop standing on him. we called were we got the from and they said it is up to us. we places him in his own box and keeping him warm, food and water was added. I'm afraid we may have to put him down. We don't know how and we don't want him to suffer for long. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Sounds like spradle leg. It can be fixed. I never dealt with it, but know you take a band aid and hold it in place. Someone will come by soon and help you out. You can probably look it up on this site.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  4. rendonhen

Feb 11, 2009
    rendon, tx
    It does look alot like the pictures. thank you so much, we are going to try the bandaide thing and see how he does. Should we put him back in the brooder with the others or keep him by himself for a few hours? he has his own heat lamp, food, and water.

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Keep him by himself for sure. Don't put him back in w/ the others until his spraddle leg prob has healed - don't want to reinjure him. It should be okay w/in a few days if the band aids do the trick. [​IMG]

6. rendonhen

Feb 11, 2009
    rendon, tx
    [​IMG] stupid bandaides. he is a feather leg and the bandaides will not stick very well. Oh well it has to be done, poor thing i can't get him to eat or drink. we will take special care of him or her. thanks for the help

7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    If the bandaids don't stick you could try yarn, string or maybe a pipe cleaner.

8. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I had one come in last year that was near death. I made a mixture that I got off of here. I can't remember exactly but I softened chick starter with warm water, boiled an egg, and added a little sugar. Put it in the blender and made it real smooth. I then held the chick and put some of the mixture on a spoon and force fed it. With in 20 minutes that chick was doing great and was just as active as all the rest. I repeated that again a few hours later just to be cautious. It worked great and the chick never had a problem from then on. She is a nice laying hen now.
    I have also had to "fix" several spraddle legs and it does work. I used the bandaids but you can use tape or string too. Mine were all feathered legs too. Just make the tape long enough to adhere in between the legs. Good luck.

9. CountryMama

CountryMama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2007
    West Michigan
    What breed did you have the spraddle legs on? I had one with spraddle leg too. I think mine is the partridge cochin banties

10. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Mine were silkies. (Not sure if you are asking me) [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by