1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP Dont know what to do with my roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moosey109, Sep 9, 2009.

1. moosey109

moosey109 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    So i have two separate pens, one has silkies, polish top hats, and a turken. The other pen has larger chickens, various kinds. My roo keeps having his way with the ladys and the silkies are so pretty that i dont want them to lose their feathers and they keep screaming when he has his way and i feel awful. If there any way i can stop him? I want to breed him in the spring so i can hatch the eggs but until then what should i do? If i put him in with the larger ladys will he still do that. they are like 3 times his size. PLEASE GIVE ADVICE!

2. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    The larger ladies may have a better chance but it might work if you can make him his own make shift pen. He definately won't be happy about it, but the ladies will. You might also check into hen saddles.

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    If you can, put him in a separate pen. If not, move him in with the big birds. Your bantam hens will be very grateful.

[​IMG]

4. moosey109

moosey109 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    I will try putting him in with the bigger ladys since I dont think it is possible for him to have is way with them. If he starts trying to have his way (which is like impossible) do you think he will eventually give up?

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Make no mistake, he will try to breed the big hens. He might succeed, you never know...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by