HELP!!! Double yolk eggs!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jj126, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jj126

jj126 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Is this normal? Our hens just started laying and this is the first time we have {EVER} eaten any of their eggs and to my surprise two of the eggs I opened had double yolks. I know which hen they can from and I have NEVER in my life seen this. Are they ok to eat?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Double yolks are common with young pullets that haven't "worked out the kinks" in their egg-laying apparatus yet and with old hens. Our first egg had 3 yolks. Kids argued over who got to eat it. [​IMG]

3. jj126

jj126 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Oh ok. Thanks so much!! I thought we had a "weird" egg laying hens or something. LOL!! [​IMG]

ON a side note...My hubby loves the yolks so this is a BONUS for him! [​IMG] YAY!

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    My new birds aren't laying yet, but I remember double yoked eggs when I was a child and we had chickens. We always considered them a bonus. They are perfectly OK to eat and from what I understand, normal in younger hens. Enjoy...make Hollandaise Sauce!

5. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Honey, all the help you need is a skillet and some toast!
    Double yolkers are a fabulous (albeit temporary) bonus from new layers.
    Last year, I saved all mine for "figure 8" devilled eggs at Thanksgiving. They were a huge hit!

Enjoy!

6. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    I tell my kids the double-yolkers are good luck. I'm now starting to believe it myself.

7. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Rachel'sFlock :

Last year, I saved all mine for "figure 8" devilled eggs at Thanksgiving. They were a huge hit!

Enjoy!

What a wonderful idea! I'm gonna have to try that.​

8. mylegger

mylegger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Rachel'sFlock :

Enjoy!

What a Great Idea! I will be saving some on mine to try this out. Thanks for sharing [​IMG]

9. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Got my first over the weekend. The actual egg was no larger than any other standard "large". Daughter #2 made some scrambled with them!

[​IMG]

10. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Don't freak out! Double yolks are a sign of young pullets still working out the egg laying process. Congratz, hope you get more! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by