HELP! Drake needs a friend!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xlaraleex, Mar 3, 2017.

1. xlaraleex

xlaraleex New Egg

Feb 23, 2017
    Last year we got 2 ducklings. We ended up with one male and one female. We were unaware that the male should have had 2 female to prevent overbreeding. (I'm so mad at myself for not being informed!) We recently lost the female, maybe due to over mating her? We're really not sure what happened. I went outside and found her unable to hold herself up and she died in my arms within minutes. I was so heart broken. But now we're left with one male. My dad (who is so stubborn and will not listen to me) keeps saying he doesn't want 3 ducks. (Then we never should have gotten ducks last year if you're not going to properly care for them :mad: )
    So getting 2 more female seems to be out of the question. I was told 2 different things about getting a male companion for him. One source told me if I introduce a male at a young age he should take to him fine. Another person told me having 2 male will cause fighting until bloodshed.
    What should I do now? Do you think I'll be able to introduce a young male to my year old Drake? Or should I look into rehoming him?
    I'm so upset and heart broken over this whole situation, and I don't know what to do at this point.

Please be kind, I am new to this and still learning. Sometimes you have to learn things the hard way.

Note: we are in SE Pennsylvania. (Philadelphia area, very close to central/south Jersey) so any info on where to get sexed ducks or where to rehome would be very helpful! Thank you.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @xlaraleex so very sorry you lost you female duck. Yes sometimes we have to learn the hard way and being broken hearted along with it. I am sorry your dad is giving you a hard time too. [​IMG]

I would be reluctant to add another drake to a lone drake they can be pretty brutal with each other unless raised together

and even then they can start fighting and trying to mate with each other. I suggestion would be to find him a good caring home.Of course you can only make that decision in the end.

Go here and look up the states closest to you and ask anyone if they maybe interested. I wish you well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by