HELP! Drake with bloody, uhh well you know "thingy"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BoiseBubba, Jan 29, 2011.

1. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    I need help deciding what to do with this guy.

Last night I went out to check on my Muscovys and found my younger drake with his "weenie" bloody and swollen, as it turns out, I think he was doing what drakes are supposed to do, and afterwords when he was sucking "it" back in, and three of the girls assaulted him and attempted to rip it out, and now he's trying to get rid of "it" on his own....

Should I just put him out of his misery or try to help him? I could try to rap a string around it and try to cut of the circulation or try to let it dry out? It's beyond healing, it's gushing blood......

Any ideas would be helpful....

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This sounds bad please go to the duck thread down the page some and post there hopefully some duck people will be able to help you, poor thing he can't live without his thingy I don't believe. sorry i didn't know what else to call it.

3. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    I heard of this thing where they breed so much it can't go back in so I think there was no cure except for culling him. Sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Quote:No, that is not true, I have had several call ducks who had their "things" get stuck MULTIPLE times and they eventually sucked it back after a few weeks, and one even was able to make 4 little duckling

Thanks for your input though.....

5. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Quote:No, they can live without it, i've had drake that had theirs fall off and they were fine, my dilemma is whether or not to try to band it or cull him

thanks though

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    aww poor guy.....nothing helpful here from me, just hoping you find a solution. though not exactly same species my Dh's Pomeranian used to have this issues where he would get excited and then it wouldn't go back in, after several vet visits they learned how to help him get in back in therefore they always kept disposable gloves around...lol...

Poor duckie, I am getting 2 this spring, hope to the heavens I am not faced with this dilemma somewhere down the road. Let us know how things go.

Ema

7. karbear

karbear Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Auburn, Wa
    I would try to band it if it was me. If it does'nt work go to plan b. Worth a try! [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ema, I have had drakes for years and they've never had this problem. How about vaseline on it to see if that would help it go back in...

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    And the result is? Did you have to do a weenie ectomy?[​IMG]

10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I dont know if its the same for ducks and chickens and humans....

For HUMANS .. we sprinkle a little bit of white sugar... just plain old sugar on a prolapse and it makes the prolapse shrink so it can be gently pushed back in

If you have difficulty reducing your prolapse, apply granulated sugar to the
    prolapsed region. Let the sugar sit for 15 minutes and then attempt to reduce the
    prolapse again. The sugar will absorb the extra water in the prolapse causing the prolapse
    to shrink.
    You must use granulated sugar. A sugar substitute will not work for reducing the
    prolapse

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by