HELP - Droopy, sleeping chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rhodiegal, Jul 30, 2010.

1. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    Have a 4 day old Sultan chick that is so droopy, it can hardly manage to stay awake. Gave her some sugar water, but still falls asleep.

2. rhodiegal

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    Anyone?

3. sabrina2109

sabrina2109 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    How long has the little thing been acting like this? I have 4 sultans of my own.

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Rhodiegal.....any signs of cocci? Using a medicated chick starter?

5. rhodiegal

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    We just got her yesterday and she was the perkiest of the bunch. Started getting sleepy last night and now she sleeps all the time except when we wake her to administer sugar water. I have 5 chicks total in a brooder and have not been exposed to other chickens, they are on medicated feed, so not sure about cocci.

6. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Well, I lost 8 of 9 show quality White Rocks I hatched in late May to cocci. They were NEVER on the ground, nor exposed to other birds.

Signs/symptoms include lethargy, droopiness, most often bloody stool. Watch them closely as I learned a really hard lesson

Also, might try some vitamins (poly vi sol type, WITHOUT iron, like you would give an infant) and you can also try Pedialyte (its better than sugar water, get the unflavored type)

Let me know how things go

BTW - where in Ga are you?

Good luck!!

7. rhodiegal

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    Yard full o' rocks - will keep an eye for bloody diarreah and will get pedialyte. I do have medication for cocci that I have used for peafowl, young chickens and goats - I wonder if I should give her some - you had cocci with very young chicks? I was not aware they could get the cocci until they were introduced to the 'environment' - learn a new thing every day!

We are in Dawsonville - not too far from Cartersville!

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I also lost some chicks this Spring from cocci... didn't realize what was happening til it was too late for many. Some get sick, some recover.. it's a horrible condition that can throw you off if you aren't familiar with. Get familiar real quick cause Im pretty sure that's the problem. Treat all of them.

9. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I use CORID to treat mine. Full strength for 5 days (5ml to one gallon of water), 5 days at 1/2 strength, 5 days at 1/3 strength....all at the recommendation of one of our State Vets, Dr John Bohanan.

If you need to try reaching him his number is 706-278-7306 (office), cell 770-893-8343

He has been an avian vet since the 1960s....nice guy, seems to know his stuff!!

10. rhodiegal

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    ok - gave her cocci medication (it is Corid), so will see if it helps - thanks for the information.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by