Help Drunk pullet!!!

teaton

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
Clarksville, TN
I have a 3 month old pullet who is one of 8 that i kept from a bad batch i bought this fall. Long story short i bought 25 chicks from a bad breeder, they were all sick and started dying so we decided to send a few in for necropsy. They came back with MS, MG, cociddia, roundworm, mites and lice!!! Take into account these were 1 day old to few week old chicks.

We culled or let the really sick ones die off and disposed of them. There were 8 that thrived and never had any symptoms but we still treated them for mites, lice worms and coccidia. Now we knew they had been exposed there for would be carriers for life so we decided to get them thier own coop and to close our flock.

Which brings us to whats been going on recently, a few weeks ago this baby started stumbling around like a drunk chicken, we seperated her gave her vitamin and antibiotics for a week she got better. Then it got cold, went into the teens for a few days and the 8 got really sick, most just respiratory one with infected eyes and this one stumbles so bad now it cannot walk! So we started everyone on antibiotics and vitamins again, everyone got better but her, shes getting worse everyday, its almost as if shes had a bad stroke or poisioned or something, she stumbles and shakes real bad whenever she tries to move, she cant even get up anymore and she thrashes herself backwards. Heres a video of her tonight, ive tried everything but i dont know whats wrong with her or what to do.

I will accept it if theres nothing i can do or if its best to cull, but i really hate to seeing as i have tried so hard on her these last few months, it always seems to be your favorites, And that just sucks!

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas on whats going on and what to do? I dont expect her to live long if we cant figure this out!!!

Last edited:
The "bad batch" had everything else, so why not Mareks' too? Because that's what it looks like.

She's the right age for the onset. It's absolutely heartbreaking to watch that video.

And you know what that means for the rest of your flock.

Those people who sold those chicks ought to be arrested.

I actually turned them in to the department of agricultural and they killed her whole flock of hundreds of birds and took away her licenses.

I knew i should of culled all of them but i just couldnt do it to the ones with no symptoms. I absolutely know that does not mean they didnt have it, i knew they did too but i read somewhere that close to 90 percent of backyard flocks had mycroplasma so i thought why should i?

As for Mareks, I have thought about that belive me, that would just be the worse!!! Wouldnt the necropsy have came back with that though if they had it? And why would just 1 be showing symptoms? God i hope were wrong! And i know the video is very hard to watch, its horrible but i had to show it for help.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not, unless they thought to test for Marek's.

Another possibility is a neurotoxin. She could have gotten into insecticide or eaten something with the botulism toxin in it. That would only happen if she was free ranging and spent a lot of time in a compost pile. Either one, death is imminent.

You might call the lab that did the necropsy and ask if they tested for Marek's virus. If they didn't you probably should get this pullet done after you euthanize her. Yes, it's what would be best for the poor pullet.

If it's Marek's you need to know. The future of your flock depends on it.

If you don't know how to euthanize, PM me, and I'll tell you an easy, non-violent way to do it.

Ok thanks for the information! I will call them in the morning. Are you talking about the Vinegar/baking soda container euthanasia method?

Last edited:
I just thought of something. Do you have the sheet the lab gave you after they completed the necropsy? It should be listed on there everything they tested for, either positive or negative for each pathogen. Marek's would be listed if they tested for it.

No, my method is much better than the vinegar and baking soda. It involves ether. PM me. Euthanasia methods can stir up a hornet's nest and I don't want to be in the middle of one.

The sheet was sent to my vet not me, so i could call them if i wanted, but id rather call the state vet, I never heard the results of the test done on her birds just that they all had to be culled for all i know some could have came back with Mareks so i want to call and talk to him. I will let you know what they say and i will PM you about the euthanasia, Thanks!

Last edited:
Well Ive spent days and my sister has spent days helping me researching Marek's and other diseases, finally in one article I came across it stated that MS and MG can mimic Marek's symptoms and with a definite diagnosis of both MS and MG already through previous necropsy Im more than positive that this is what we are still battling.

I am contemplating culling the small infected flock seeing as they keep having problems, I should have done it to begin with honestly,but I was hoping to atleast get my moneys worth out of eggs or meat! Only time will tell...

This whole ordeal has been a super hard lesson for me to learn. These last few months have really tested me, I cant tell you how many times I just wanted to throw in the towel and be done with chickens! I mean eggs are $1 a dozen -What am i thinking?? One things for sure, one day I will harvest all the birds on my property, clean everything really well and let it sit for a few months before starting over and when I do it will be with quality hatchery chicks or from a NIPI certified breeder! Nomore craigslist babies for me!!!

This whole things been a complete nightmare,but atleast Ive learned from it... I guess... And to think chickens were supose to be easy...HA!

Last edited:
You've arrived a a very valid decision. By the time you're ready to begin again with a new batch of chicks from a reputable hatchery, you will be full of optimism and joyous anticipation. Time will heal.

Back
Top Bottom