Help Drunkin Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cedar post, Jan 24, 2010.

1. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Well he's not really drunk but seems like it started about a week ago, kinda sitting around and seems weak. And when he walks around he stumbles and doesn't seem normal. He is eating and drinking fine but seems to be going downhill slowly. Any suggestions would help. Mike If I nudge him he kinda falls over.

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Vit B 12? Has been known to make them perk up and eat better. Seems like wrong season for parasites, but they too, can strike anytime.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  4. cedar post

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Quote:That is nowhere enough info to go on. Will you please take a look at the link below and try to answer some of the questions? It will really help us help you and your roo.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

My rooster is in his second year. Eats and drinks normally feeding layer, a little corn and bread twice a week as a treat also has grit,clean water. Has been getting wobbly and is now getting unbalanced. Otherwise he hasn't been injured just seems to be slowly going downhill. He is on shavings for beding. Don't know what to add poop seems normal. Mike

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

any chance of mites? Coccidiosis? Marek's? Sounds like what happened to mine; it was a combo of coccidiosis and Marek's. I hope yours turns out to be something easily treatable.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is he kept alone? Any other chickens with him?

Can you check around his vent for mites? They can take a bird down slowly but steadily, as can worms.
    Has he perhaps gotten into any wet or moldy food?
    Poisonous plants?
    What kind of shavings? Hopefully not cedar.

Coccidiosis usually hits younger birds, and if he has mites or coccidia it will most likely affect all the chickens.

7. cedar post

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    I better check for mites, he's been with three hens and another rooster

8. cedar post

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Don't notice mites, but if it is mites or worms what should I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by