Help!! Duck’s bill is swollen after getting cut...

Thatonechick99623

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
If anyone has any advice please help!!! My Rouen duck, about 6 weeks old, was injured Thursday (its Sunday now). I was worm hunting and had stuck my shovel in the dirt and had one hand on another duck to hold him away so he wouldn’t get hurt and laid the shovel down to pull up the dirt and didn’t see my other duck run over and sneak his bill under it and it smooshed his bill .😭😭😭😭 I heard him cry out and he ran away and I saw blood so I rushed him inside to the bathtub and washed it with some water and cleaned it diluted hydrogen peroxide and put some neosporin on the cut (saw some posts suggesting to do that) and the cut was fine within a few minutes. It didn’t start bleeding again after that. He tucked his bill under his wing for the rest of the night but was up and running and playing like nothing happened the next day. He’s been so happy and lovey, I was really worried he would hate me. I feel like the worst person in the world and I can’t believe I made this huge mistake! 😭
Anyways, his bill was swollen under the cut and it still hasn’t gone down. Should I be worried? Should I give it a week to finish healing and then maybe the swelling will go away? Or does this sound like fluid buildup in a bad way? I’m not sure what to do... I just want my baby to be okay 😢 Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I couldn’t get a good picture because he kept moving. But you can see it’s bubbled lower on the bill... if this isn’t helpful I’ll try to get some better pictures

Attachments

• 82458A0C-F35F-452C-823B-2E9938902BDB.jpeg
    82458A0C-F35F-452C-823B-2E9938902BDB.jpeg
    672.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 858F64DE-3CDB-40E2-9BD7-603551B30549.jpeg
    858F64DE-3CDB-40E2-9BD7-603551B30549.jpeg
    633.8 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for the pictures.
It is hard to speak on whether the swelling is due to the recent injury, or the result of bacteria that have invaded the tissue. The fact that you treated the injury promptly would lessen the chance of their being abscess, but it is still on the table since ducks dirty their bills so fast.

If you are attempting to avoid a vet visit, you might try and wait and see whether the swelling goes down. If you have aspirin available, you can dose the bird 5 miligrams per kilogram of body weight orally once a day to help combat any inflammation. If there is a large cut on the bill, you can apply an antibacterial ointment every night.

Treatment will be easier at a vet office if the abscess/hematoma is smaller in size, so do not wait till the area is huge until you see a vet.
Do not be too hard on yourself - mistakes happen.

Thank you! It does look like the swelling starts underneath the cut, and it fortunately has not gotten any bigger. Do you have any brands/forms of aspirin you could recommend? And the ointment? Or should I just use some neosporin?

Back
Top Bottom