Help! Duck Absorbing water!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LLCoyote, Sep 25, 2011.

1. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I haven't a clue why but my female ducks ave really loose feathers compared to my drake. His feathers lay pretty tight together, when you pet him they are slick to the touch and water rolls off of them. My females however... not so much. Their feathers are loose to the touch and don't lay as tight as my drake's. Now my females are being weighed down in the pool and their feathers are wet. Do I need to go to the vet? Or is there something I can do??? Please help!

2. ElaineS585

ElaineS585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2010
    Uh, are you sure they're not molting?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I don't know what breed you have but my muscovies at this time of year look water logged when they get out of the pool, but after they finish molting they have brand new feathers and are once again water proof.

4. LLCoyote

May 24, 2011
    They just molted two months ago, so I doubt that they are molting. They aren't Muscovies either... they're Welsh Harlequins

5. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    It could have wet feather, I think that’s what it is called, it is were a duck doesn't make enough oil or it’s oil gland in clogged up so it's fathers are not water proof and they get water logged when they swim, they also look sort of messy and loss all the time b/c they can't keep their feathers clean with out the oil

6. LLCoyote

May 24, 2011
    How would I deal with that??? Is it lethal? Do they need a vet?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:warm compresses may help lay on the oil gland. what age are your ducks?

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It may be the preen gland, or sometimes (I have read) it's an external parasite, like mites. Can you get a close look at the gland and around her eyes?

9. LLCoyote

May 24, 2011
    I can get close to her eyes if I have to. I pick her up often. Where would I put the warm compress and what do I look for around the eye? I don't see any bugs.

10. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    the gland is on their back just above their tail... watch them preening and you'll see they reach back with their head and rub it above their tail, or nibble back there with their bill... that's them collecting oil to spread on the feathers. if you hold them and fluff around in the same area you should see the gland... it looks like a bump maybe a bit bigger than a pea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by