Help duck attacked and doesn’t walk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heybeautiful, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Heybeautiful

Heybeautiful Hatching

Apr 24, 2019
    My duckling was artacked by my chicken. She got some feathers pulled and they’re healing but she hasn’t walked since just after the event. She’s about a month old and hasn’t walked for about a week! I don’t know what to do!

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Broken pelvis maybe?

3. Tilly6

Tilly6 Songster

Jul 26, 2016
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    I assume you’ve checked over her feet and legs and made sure there were no injuries? She is eating and drinking ok? If she is on chicken feed have you supplemented with extra niacin in her water or brewers yeast on her food. Will she swim?

nightowl223 likes this.
  4. Heybeautiful

Heybeautiful Hatching

Apr 24, 2019
    Yeah I checked her feet and legs. One has a scab from a peck and shes eating and drinking okay. She just kind of floats went shes in the water. I will get some of the niacin for her though.

5. Heybeautiful

Heybeautiful Hatching

Apr 24, 2019
    How would I check? Would I need to take her to the vet? I looked at her legs and they seem to be in the right place. Thanks for the quick response

6. Heybeautiful

Heybeautiful Hatching

Apr 24, 2019
    Thanks for the quick response

7. You might be able to tell the difference between the side if you hold her and feel along the back towards the tail, and check to see if the two joints on either side feel the same. But to be absolutely sure, yeah, you would need a vet to take an X-ray. The problem might be finding a vet that would look at a duck, just like it's almost impossible to find one that will look at a chicken, unless you can find an avian vet. Good luck!

If you can't, and don't feel anything obviously different between the limbs, just treat the visible injuries and let her swim a lot, to maybe get her moving her limbs again under less pressure than on the ground. And just keep her safe and warm, otherwise, until she can choose to move again, once whatever injury that hurts her so much heals.

DragonParadigm likes this.
  8. Heybeautiful

Heybeautiful Hatching

Apr 24, 2019
    Thanks so much...will do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: