Help. Duck can't hold down water and won't eat!

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
Hi everyone, I haven't been here in a while. I noticed yesterday that one of our ducks wouldn't eat her dinner. She was drinking a lot of water, then shaking her head and it all just fell back out of her mouth. I caught her and felt her crop, but I felt nothing abnormal. I kept her in a large dog cage overnight with a bucket of water. This morning she had drank some water and was very alert and scared too. I looked in her mouth, felt her throat, and felt her crop again. Still nothing! So I mixed some sugar, raw goat milk, and water so she wouldn't get too weak.

I am not sure what to think. They usually go to the pond all day, so I thought maybe she picked up a fish hook there. That wouldn't be the first time either. But usually it gets stuck in their beak, and I can't feel anything in her crop. Any ideas?

She is pooping, landed right on my foot last night! Her crop feels completely empty besides some water before she spits it back up.
hu.gif

She is pooping, landed right on my foot last night! Her crop feels completely empty besides some water before she spits it back up.
hu.gif
Last week my drake was shaking his head and acting strange kept shaking his head a lot. I looked down his throat to see if I could see anything, didn't. but he kept doing the head shaking so I opened his mouth again and there was a flat piece of shavings stuck to the roof of his mouth and that was the problem. I had to pull it out and he was okay. Look in her mouth real good under tongue , roof of mouth. Just to rule out something foreign in there. Hope it is something as simple as this.
fl.gif

Well, last night she ate her food just like normal. We let her out this morning because she really wanted to be back with the flock. She started eating food like no tomorrow, then she ran down to the pond just like normal. I guess it was just a fluke, thank goodness! Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Well, last night she ate her food just like normal. We let her out this morning because she really wanted to be back with the flock. She started eating food like no tomorrow, then she ran down to the pond just like normal. I guess it was just a fluke, thank goodness! Thanks for the help everyone. :)
Yippie!! love good news!!!

Back
Top Bottom