help! duck can't walk!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lilybug524, Jul 2, 2016.

1. lilybug524

lilybug524 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    My indian runner duck started acting weird today and falling over. I thought she was getting ready to start laying and was having trouble but we found a cut on her foot and now think she may ha e bumble foot. Confirmation and treatments would be greatly appreciated. Will blue kote be ok for it? [​IMG]

2. lilybug524

May 9, 2011
    Can't see in the pic very well but the dark line appears to be a cut and right above it is a nodule

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Try the Blue Kote for a couple of days and see if it helps, if it doesn't then pick up some Epsom salt and start soaking her foot in it 1/2 cup to 1 gal of warm water[don't let her drink the ES water it is also a laxative]
    Be sure to also pick up some colorless iodine [has to be colorless] after soaks dry her foot then using a qtip or cotton ball and make sure to cover the bumble with the colorless iodine then keep her on clean bedding till the bumble has healed. Soak her foot and put the colorless iodine on every 3 days till healed.

4. lilybug524

May 9, 2011
    We sprayed the entire bottom of foot with blue kote last night and today seems much better already. Will pick up the epsom salt today. Thank you miss lydia!

5. shannonbaker87

shannonbaker87 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    It looks like bumble foot to me. If those treatments don't work and it gets worse you will have to cut open the sore and pull the corn out. If you do that though make sure you get the whole corn, then flush out the wound, disinfect and wrap it.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great news, only use cutting as last resort. Your Runners bumble doesn't look bad so it should heal with out cutting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by