Help! Duck egg pipped internally 3 days ago but no external pip yet!

Just, wow.

love.gif

They are so precious
love.gif
love the pics and to see how far they have come well it's just heart warming, I know you all are enjoying them so much,and isn't it fun to be a duck mama? I had that opportunity last year and I so enjoyed it. actually even though my boy is 10 months old he is still my baby!
love.gif
looking forward to updates as you find time... again Congrats on a job well done!!!

We had to bring in a past due egg still alive because the hen left the nest to tend her already hatched babies. I know this is an old post but i found it helpful and wanted to share the improv bator i came up with.I helped the duckling external pip after it internal pipped.I then fashioned a clay bowl inside a metal dish of water.This wicks moisture and keeps up humidity. Wrapped the tank in a thermal camping mat and added some egg cartons around the bowl. I think the bulb in running 100watts(adjustable dimmer bulb in a standard desk lamp) Left a opening on the top so it didnt overheat and sat the egg in a warm hat inside the bowl. Now the wait...
[/IMG]

UPDATE! my little duckling hatched successfully 48 hours after pipping! glad i was patient and gave it time to absorb its yolk and blood veins.Its cool how they know its time and boy did this baby hatch with gusto once it started :D Its a bit wobbly but very lively and already looking to EAT and DRINK! YAY!!!

Wow! Hi :) I'm a very new member to this site (two days..lol) but I have been reading information for a few weeks. This story is amazing! I am incubating duck eggs for the first time and I hope I will recognize when and if they need help. My fear is that I won't know? How can you tell if they internally pip and how long after should wait? You sounded like you handled everything so great. I am sorry about the ones who didn't make it :( very sad. and I'm rooting for the others.

[quote name="Iain Utah" url="/t/644492/

Hi. I'm just wondering.. Being very new to all this. If the duckling is 'the wrong way' than I will need to do the external pip?

I had a hatch go horrible earlier this week.  While I was working away at internally pipping 2 wrong enders, I noticed something start to go wrong after my frontrunner externally pipped.  Next thing I know I am like you, trying to save 11 babies at once.  I have a teeny bit of experience hatching stuck babies that have externally pipped, but nothing like what you are going through.  I lost 3 in the process.  One I know was because of an error I made.  I consider it a miracle that 8 made it, to be honest.  Even with mistakes, know that if you do nothing, most likely none will make it.  If you try, maybe a few will make it.  

FYI, I kept my humidity between 80-85%.  Temp between 100-101.  Also, if you see a lot of thick blood in the inner membrane, then it is still early for those eggs to hatch.  Make sure beak/nares are free to breathe and watch for the blood to recede in that membrane.  It will become clearer as it absorbs.  Then you can continue.  You are doing the right thing to sit back and watch them carefully.

Hang in there.  It sounds like you will have at least 2 babies that will make it!!!  You are doing great!!
[/quote]

My mallard duck is on a day 26. It internally pipped on day 24 but no external pip. It is still moving and couple of peeps. When should I assist with poking small hole in air sack to avoid suffocation??

Back
Top Bottom