1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Duck Egg!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessiblackk, Aug 18, 2015.

1. jessiblackk

jessiblackk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2015
    Orange County California
    So long story short I was given a fetal duck egg from a classmate from a vietnamese market to cook and eat the fetus as a dare (a "balut" egg is a delicacy in their culture). Instead ive been holding it in my hand, bra, shirt, etc for the past week keeping it warm. I have no expirience with this, (im a 19 year old city girl from southern california and ive never even seen a fertilized egg) Its air sac was at the large end but now has gotten larger and moved onto the side a little bit. it almost has an angle to it. is this because my dog rolled it around the other day when i wasnt looking?[​IMG] I just want to make sure that this isnt going to affect the fetus.
    Can use all the help I can get. Thanks guys!

2. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm sorry, but I don't think you can keep the temperature consistently warm enough by holding it in your hand or bra. Chicken and duck moms have a higher body temperature than we humans do. I've seen where some people have tried to incubate chicken eggs in their bra here on BYC, and it hasn't ended well. Plus I doubt your egg was kept at a good temperature when at the market...

You should check and see if it is even still alive. What you do is go into a dark room with a very bright flashlight. Shine the flashlight from the back of the egg, and watch it for a minute to see if there is any movement of the duckling... It's in a late stage of development, so you'll only be able to see movement at the air cell end of the egg, if anything. If there is movement of the duckling, you can try to find somebody with an incubator to finish off the hatching process. Maybe try Craigslist. If there is no movement, try again a couple more times later in the day or the following day, but it is probably already dead.

As for the air cell, even if it's still alive, it should be larger and at an angle, considering how old it is. As long as the air cell stays in the same spot if you tilt the egg, it's fine.

Sorry you are going through this! I would be distressed about it too.

3. jessiblackk

Aug 18, 2015
    Orange County California
    Ive been putting the egg up to my flashlight on my i phone and its been moving around like a freaking ninja! but now the dark part of the egg is getting very big. i can only shine a sliver of light through to see it moving between the air sac and the dark part. and in the sliver i can see through theres a bunch of like veins

4. MySweetChickens

MySweetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Ok well no going back now[​IMG] Not that anyone would want to

sounds like its pretty close to hatching it will need humidity and you can try spraying water in its surroundings but the egg itself cannot get wet try to keep it consistently warm now and I will find the thread with bra hatching for you

oh this is a fun predicament hmm[​IMG]

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If this was given to you as a balut, the person who gave it to you has no idea what that is:

A balut is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are considered delicacies of Asia and especially the Philippines, China, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, baluts are mostly sold by street vendors at night in the regions where they are available. They are often served accompanied with consumption of beer. The Filipino and Malay word balut (balot) roughly translates to mean “wrapped”.

Thus, clearly, the embryo (not referred to as a fetus) would have been killed when the egg was boiled.

An egg must be kept at a temperature of 99.5 (or very close) consistently in order for development to occur. Yes, it can cool off a bit, but not for very long.

If it is actually developing, and if it in fact hatches, I fear it may have developed incorrectly and have issues...have you given thought to what you will do with the duckling IF it hatches? They require special food, a heat lamp, a whole lot of water, and are very, very messy...

6. MySweetChickens

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
  7. jessiblackk

Aug 18, 2015
    Orange County California
    No they didnt have any idea what it was. they bought two, i cracked the first one open and when we saw it moving we quickly realized we were supposed to cook the egg. after seeing the first half developed one moving i couldnt cook the other so ive had it since. and i am going to buy a heat lamp and crate and food for it today. i honestly wasnt expecting it to still be alive but the dark part of the egg is getting really big and i can only see a sliver of light shining through when i put light to it but it looks like someones punching from the dark part towards the air sac.

8. jessiblackk

Aug 18, 2015
    Orange County California
    haha yes i have been sleeping with it

9. MySweetChickens

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
    if the dark mass is stretching and moving into the air cell it is internally pipping i would avoid too much candling and only taking it out when necessary he should hatch withing a day or two and keep us updated[​IMG]

10. jessiblackk

Aug 18, 2015
    Orange County California
    OMG [​IMG]
    Okay i guess ill go get the heat lamp and food and stuff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by