.:HELP:. Duck emergency!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mychickendrew, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Mychickendrew

Mychickendrew Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    My little call duck, windou, is pretty old...id say 9 years or so. Today I went out and my flock was out pecking around but lil' Windy was flipped upside down laying on his back. Lately he has been lethargic i thought maybe its just the cold. I picked him up today and thought he could spend sometime inside. He was a pig so i let him sit in the bathtub. Mind you this duck LOVES WATER but he tried grooming himself and almost fell over each time. He also did this thing where he stretched his neck out in front of him and lost his balance, almost falling over. I also noticed one eye is shut and the other one is weakly open. I'm wondering what it could be...Please help. I have had this duck for so long!

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would suggest that you post this on the "Duck Forum"...I'll see who is on there now for you...hang in there...!

3. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I just asked an expert to look at your post and offer suggestions...hope they will be able to help you out here VERY soon!

4. Mychickendrew

Mychickendrew Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    Thank you so much for your help!!

5. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    No worries..I sent a pm..so hopefully they will see your post very quickly...

6. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I just contacted another expert...help will be with you VERY SOON!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My first guess is ataxia - could be a systemic infection, that has gotten into the nervous system.

I am not a vet - but the little needs one a.s.a.p.

Keep him as reasonably warm as possible, keep fresh water and food available - if he shows any sign of difficulty swallowing, remove solid food and in any case add vitamins and electrolytes to his water.

Could be an injury, but I am guessing an infection.

Could also be botulism. I am posting and editing in order to get the most information to you as quickly as I can. If he has been into anything rotten and decaying, old feed, nasty mud puddle, dead animal - he could have botulism.

I will post flushes. How is he doing now?

from this Sticky - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

information for treatments read online should always be researched for yourself. It is always best to consult an avian vet when dealing with illness in geese. The information below is how WE dose and use the flushes here on our farm.

Flushes**

Epsom Salt Flush:
    3 Tsp. Epsom Salts.
    1 ½ Cups water
    ¼ – ½ gram vitamin and electrolyte powder * Optional
    2 – 3 times a day for 3 days or until a full recovery is made.

Molasses Flush:
    1 cup Molasses
    2 ½ gallons water
    5 – 6 grams vitamin and electrolyte powder * Optional
    ! !Do not exceed 8 hours ! ! After 8 hours replace Molasses flush with vitamin and electrolyte water

Activated Charcoal Slurry
    1 tsp. Activated Charcoal Powder
    8 oz. – Pure Water
    Dose 6 – 8 times daily

**These flushes will cause slight to moderate dehydration as they work to expel toxins and foreign matter from your birds system. After giving a flush, offer a steady supply of vitamin and electrolyte fortified water until a full recovery is made.

we prefer to use steamed oats (quacker like humans eat) and mashed egg when a bird is ill. Isolated into a dog kennel, covered to keep darker and quiet and keeping stress to a minimum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is there a possibility he could have eaten something toxic?Could that be a possibility? I'd keep him inside and keep him warm not hot but warm so he isn't using all his energy to stay warm. Make sure to offer plenty of fresh water and if you have poultry vitamins add some to it. also keep feed in front of him at all times, it could be he hasn't been eating very well if not feeling good. Of course your best course of action would be a vet, But we all understand that isn't always possible. He may have an infection too. Could even just be old age. I'll get you the link for flushes in case you think it could be toxic.Since Amiga already posted the flushes thread I'll just say please keep us updated and hope your lil one gets to feeling better.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by