HELP***** Duck hatched with Yolk **PICS**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gervais22, Apr 15, 2009.

1. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Ok Well I jus checked the bator and I got a duck that pipped yesterday been about about 30 hours.

It has hatched and it's still got some yolk left.

It looks a lot but it looks like most of it is the amniotic fluid around the duck??

anyone got any ideas what to do just leave it in the bator and see what happens?

[​IMG]

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I would leave it alone. Seems like a lot doesn't it? Almost like it hatched too soon? Just leave it. It is so cute. [​IMG] Next time, might I suggest...putting something down over the wire grate? Wally World has shelf liner that is like thin rubber matting you might try and it is cheap. Just give it a day or two and then see what happens. Keep the lid to the bator closed though unless there is a problem, ok?

3. gervais22

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Quote:ok thank you, i'm praying so much he/she makes it.

[​IMG]

should I cover the yolk messing stuff with a wet cloth or something??

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I wish I could tell you what to do but I would be afraid to open the lid and let that little one get a draft and die for sure? Hopefully, someone..oh, pm terrielacy the administrator, she raises lots of ducks!! She will be able to answer you!! I see she is on line right now.

5. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i had one hatch like this, not so much outside of his belly, but i put a warm wet paper towel around his belly and used a wrap to wrap it up. He lived and is a happy ducky! Theres hope! I'd be afraid of yours trying to stand and ripping it out... ekkk. Thats why i wrapped mine.

best wishes! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  6. gervais22

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Quote:ok what shuld I wrap it with like clean film! plastic stuff??

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:ok what shuld I wrap it with like clean film! plastic stuff??

no i had some ace bandage type stuff, i had it for my dogs leg. Do you have anything like that? Maybe try a washcloth and safety pin it to him, cut it so it fits and doesnt bother him much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by