Help! Duck hatching chicken eggs right now. One is out!!! New pic!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JJchiknshak, May 20, 2010.

1. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    Today is day 21. On egg is pipped, but from momma duck rolling the egg under her a lot of the shell is missing on the side where the pip is. I can hear the chick peeping, and I can see it's beak moving. I'm afraid it's going to shrink wrap.

What should I do?

I don't have an incubator, but I was thinking I could set up my brooder with a heating pad under a blanket and a heat lamp over top, then maybe put a wt paper towel over the membrane on the pipped chick... does that sound like a good idea????

I can hear the other 2 eggs tapping quietly when I hold the egg to my ear.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    keep in mind that it can take up to 24 hours from pip to hatching. If you can see the beak it is getting oxygen which is good. it will probably be fine if you start to get too worried you can mist the egg with warm water.

3. JJchiknshak

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    Ok Thanks!

4. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    If they are still under mama duck and trying to hatch, I'd probably just leave them alone. Are they chicken or duck eggs? How long have they been trying to hatch?

It can take a while for them to hatch, sometimes 24 hours, ducks even longer!

maybe another member with more experience can weigh in, that's just what I would do. good luck!

5. JJchiknshak

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    They are chicken eggs. I had no fertile duck eggs at the time, and she was broody with a vengeance. lol
    She's been attacking me since day one. I figured what the heck let her try and hatch some chicks.

I'm going to leave them go for now and just keep checking on them. I'm just nervous cause it's my first hatch.

6. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I cant imagine that chickens eggs under a duck are not getting enough humidity. Duck eggs require more humidity then chicken eggs. Usually a duck will swim and then go back on the eggs which would account for the difference in humidity. I wouldn't worry.

7. 6littlechickies

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    keep us posted! [​IMG] being chicken eggs under a duck the humidity should be ok. Duck's have a higher humidity than chickens naturally.

hatching is so stressful but SO addicting! [​IMG] started with just one hovabator, given to me by a friend b/c he knew i had chickens and he was just looking to get rid of it. now I have a total of 4 styro bators (two LG, two Hova) and hubby just bought me a new Brinsea for my upcoming bday.

just put in 12 BBS Amer on 5/12 for my first hatch in that, have a post up at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=345597

what breed are the upcoming chicks?

8. JJchiknshak

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    They are mystery mutt chicks... well not too much of a mystery. The dad is an RIR, and the moms are either BR, BO, BA, or RIR.

I'm really hoping for a RIR X BA, cause they are GORGEOUS!

9. 6littlechickies

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    very cool! Mystery chicks are so much fun! i love seeing how they all feather out. last summer I did a hatch with a bunch from our mixed flock. it was lots of fun trying to figure out who mama was!

10. JJchiknshak

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    Here's what the one egg looks like now. It's rocking and peeping, so it's definitely trying to get out. I can hear the other 2 tapping.
    [​IMG]

Here's momma duck sitting on her eggs.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by