Help- Duck is a Drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DisneyGal25, Aug 1, 2014.

1. DisneyGal25

DisneyGal25 Chirping

May 3, 2014
    So we got our ducks from various places... We got three Cayugas from a local feed store that promised us sexed ducklings. One died at two weeks from what the vet told us was just failure to thrive.. Anyways so we thought we had two females, but now one of them quacks and the other makes the guttural drake quack.

We currently have 9 in our flock we thought we had 3 drakes and 6 ducks now it appears 4 and 5. I have been under the impression that you need to have two ducks for every one drake. So you can see where the problem lies. So now our decision is to keep or sale off. I want to keep her/him, hubby wants to sale off.

So those of you that are experienced will keeping him cause problems with our flock?

Thanks for your input.

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    If you keep him you would need to get more females.

3. DisneyGal25

DisneyGal25 Chirping

May 3, 2014
    I was hoping that wouldn't be the case :(

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    so i get this gist correct you have 4 drakes and 5 females? if so i wouldn't keep with that.. i run a lot of drakes here and a big flock that said too many drakes causes chaos they fight, they overly mate females and just generally speaking ruin the zen of the flock.

A few options, add more females, sell some drakes or breakdown and run two flocks .. a drake flock and/or a female only flock or run a drake with some females and a secondary drake flock.

LOL hopefully that all came out right.

1 person likes this.
  5. DisneyGal25

DisneyGal25 Chirping

May 3, 2014

You are right! We thought we had 3 drakes & 6 ducks. With the revelation that this one is a drake we have 4 drakes and 5 ducks. We live in the middle of the city so we really can't do more. Hubby wants to sale the drake. I'm hoping to keep him. I think we will have to break down our flock. Maybe keep one group pinned in the morning while the other free ranges and one pinned in the afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: