Help! Duck issues!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welshies, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I have six 10wk ducks and one has been acting odd lately. I am getting worried about how to solve this issue. His name is Brooke, he is pictured here:
    [​IMG]
    My ducks are eclipsing now, and with that always comes some feather eating. I have taken away their oats, and given them lots of dog food- two handfuls are day. They eat it all.
    But Brook is getting out of hand. He has bullied the others so much, they are now bleeding. Their lower sides are bare.
    [​IMG]
    Brook is one of three drakes I ended up with. He is the only pure Rouen drake, the other one is a Runner and the other is my favorite.
    What can I do? I'm sure Brook has enough protein- he has had some hamburger as a treat recently. Is it time to think about getting rid of this bully? :(

2. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    He probably thinks the old feathers coming off the over ducks is food or something edible to eat. Maybe keep him separated in tell the others are done molting.

3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    The problem is, the eclipse is only just starting. The feathers aren't truly falling yet. He is plucking them off one by one! :/

4. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Weird, he could be showing dominance or being territorial.[​IMG]

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, I'm afraid it may be a habit now and he may have to go. He should be fine, he grew up with these ducklings. I guess not? It's wierd, but I don't want my ducklings to be plucked raw anymore.

6. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck with him though[​IMG].
    You might need to separat him from the other ducks.

7. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't have the facilities. Fortunately though, I may soon acquire another duck coop from a friend! :yesss:
    I will either seperate him, sell him, or eat him.
    But I really love him, his feather quality, and his size. I don't want to let him go! :(

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

First dog food wont be enough protein...In another thread I mentioned Dry Cat food. You can also go buy Hog barley pellets that are high in protein. I use it but did not want others to question my practise..Also works great for chickens...
    Try it...It will help and wont hurt them..

9. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    It's too late I think. And he was getting meat as well. It's become a habit.
    Their diet is not deficient in protein because none of the others are plucking. Even the drakes that are getting their nuptial plumage.

10. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

He is lacking something???? I do know that much...Minerals..I bet its minerals? Go get hog feed....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by