1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP-DUCK LIMPING -no signs of anything wrong-help please??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sonew123, Oct 19, 2011.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Hi all. I have a 2 yr old khaki campbell runner girl who started with a bad limp yesterday. I picked her up today and washed her foot off! It's perfect-no bumblefoot-no blood-no broken bones that I can feel. Shes never had any health problems-she lays everyday-except today [​IMG] It's not just a limp-she can barely put pressure on it. I massaged every ounce of her leg and foot and she never flinched or cried in pain? I'm stumped-Can someone tell me what else to look for or feel for??? thank you!!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Could it possibly be coming from her back? the reason i am asking is My Muscovy drake decided to jump from the pool instead of walking down the ramp, he started to limp pretty bad, I did as you and checked every part of his legs and foot couldn't find anything going on, so determined it must have been his back. He is still limping some but it's been close to a month, but much better, I just left him alone and he mostly did the resting without my interference. If you don't feel comfortable letting her heal this way maybe put her in close quaters for a while and see if staying off of it except for swim time might help. All the best! [​IMG]

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Could it possibly be coming from her back? the reason i am asking is My Muscovy drake decided to jump from the pool instead of walking down the ramp, he started to limp pretty bad, I did as you and checked every part of his legs and foot couldn't find anything going on, so determined it must have been his back. He is still limping some but it's been close to a month, but much better, I just left him alone and he mostly did the resting without my interference. If you don't feel comfortable letting her heal this way maybe put her in close quaters for a while and see if staying off of it except for swim time might help. All the best! [​IMG]

thank you! I havent removed her from her pen-she has a twin and her hubbie:) But he's very gentle..I wont seperate her from them just yet....just watch..Hopefully she gets better soon-its breaks mny heart to see her limp hard:(

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Reduced actively and lots of swimming will help any trauma type injury such as a sprain or pull.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Did you check her belly for egg binding? A nice lukewarm swim can help with that. Just be careful handling her so as not to break it - if that is the case.

Ditto FL chickens

6. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi . I also have a limper--hes 4 months old -- i have 2 , four month olds that ive bee letting hang with my older 5.. my alpha drake picks on Smudge ( the 4 mo old) but Smudge is bigger and can get away pretty easy.. when i went to check on them Smudge was limping and Im assuming Holeshot chased him around and he twisted is leg ... I see no cuts or abrasions, no swelling, no warmth. Ive seperated them again most of the time, he swims alot. its been almost a week and hes alittle better. On good advice I was told it may take a month or so to get better.. he eats , drinks and plays like normal .. I took one of my other ducks to the vet today ad told him and he said to do what im doing and just keep an eye out.. Im sure she will get better.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I wish I could seperate her from her pen mates but shes CRIES!!! seriously. her sister runs in circles and quacks and quacks until I let her sis back in. Her sis gets left alone when together-thats the best part..She will get drink and lays down to rest when not smooshing her bill in mud!

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It sounds like a sprain to me...I had a peahen that did this-no visible injuries that I could see or feel and I checked over every cm. of her leg. She just couldn't stand on it, hopping on one foot, very minimal swelling and just a little heat to the touch. After spending a small fortune on a vet bill, I found that there really was no better healer than time. She had a sprained joint. And seriously...it took ALOT of time. I think around 2 to 2 1/2 months before her limp was gone completely.

This is what it sounds like to me since you really can't see any physical injury. She will make it for sure, but it will just take time. It stinks....it does, watching them "suffer" but they work through it. My peahen, even with her injury still roosted 6 1/2 ft. up every night and jumped down every morning completely disregarding the lower roosts.

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Ditto and ditto on what fl chicken said. I have sprains every now and again and I hate to see em. Had one two weeks ago with a silver woodduck hen. But thankfully ALL over the years have healed when it happened. most in a week but I did have one go 4 weeks (manderin) Hope this makes ya feel a little better about her.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Thanks guys...I thought for sure it was originally bumblefoot but couldn't understand how I had missed it because I check all my ducks feet 1x a month. Alright then..it's a waiting game I guess.. It gets dark here so early and by the time I get off of work and home...I can't see much as she has gone in her house to bed:( My DH does all morning feedings and such so he will have to be my eyes for now. He's afraid of going near them because they are so skittish but once I pick her up she's a puddle of cuddly mush in my hands and snuggles me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by