Help! Duck lost a foot

blacke

Chirping
6 Years
After work today I discovered one of our ducks was trapped between a wall and the door of the duck house. When I got her out I saw that one of her feet is now gone. I’m not sure if a predator got to her or what happened. I brought her inside and cleaned her up. It doesn’t seem to be bleeding anymore. I don’t see any other injuries. What do I do now??

566E4CBC-17DE-4E2D-B1E3-EE15A5F51E3F.jpeg 96903B3E-2F2A-49D4-9746-2C3C4DE20C53.jpeg

Attachments

• 2A8F2DEE-C130-463C-B3CD-C49251A44D0B.jpeg
    2A8F2DEE-C130-463C-B3CD-C49251A44D0B.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 3C16F688-0831-4CB4-91B8-7978BF9C0A63.jpeg
    3C16F688-0831-4CB4-91B8-7978BF9C0A63.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 58
Oh that’s terrible for the poor duck! I am very new to having ducks myself so I won’t be much of an informed source of help on this matter.

I’d heard (doesn’t make it true) that a one legged duck doesn’t really make it in a flock or free range as they’ll get picked on/ostracized plus their ability to move about is mostly hampered. For example if it were to be moving about, it’d likely be using its wing as a crutch (what my Pekin was doing with a sprained leg) and I imagine they wouldn’t be able to get away from a mean turtle at the waters edge or anything like that. I know her ability to swim was also pretty ‘meh’ as it was basically circles.

I agree with poster above me: clean it up, give her some electrolytes and keep an eye on her wound for any infection. I’d let her still be near the other flock (if possible) but partitioned off for her safety. I know of people who’ve kept their one legged ducks alive and healthy and as happy as a one legged duck can be. I imagine it just goes towards what you’re raising them for (if meat birds, for example, maybe it’s just an early time :( )

I’m sorry this happened to you and your poor ducky. I’ll be following the thread to see how this works out for you. Plus, there’s some super awesome duck board leaders who’ve been helping me with my little duck problems and I’m hoping they can come along and give some better words of encouragement.

I’m hoping for some popsicle stick prosthetic recipes or something.

Best of wishes <3

I have heard that once healed, she will not only have an impossibly hard time trying to walk on a stump, but if she is in the water, she will go around in circles ?
That said, I would give her a chance !
Let her heal in a clean confinement, then let her out & watch her.
So sad !
Watch out that predator does not come back again tomorrow !
Once they find a meal, they tend to return to get more the next day.

Maybe put some sort of antiseptic on that. @New2DuckyDoodles mention popsicle stick prosthetic thingies, hopefully you will be able to make some sort of prosthetic (once the stump has healed of course).

Exactly. I’m hoping maybe popsicle sticks would be light enough that it wouldn’t hinder walking around.

Again, I hope one of the more knowledgeable veterans come along with some info. (Maybe I’ll be annoying and tag a couple... this is not to exclude any of the awesome veterans here, these are just a few names that come to mind.... @Ravynscroft @casportpony )

Because I don’t want to say make popsicle legs and that be detrimental but I think that once the stump has healed maybe it could be done?

Now I don’t think she’ll ever be able to swim in a pond again (yeah... they swim in circles the poor things) but while her dreams of being a synchronized swimmer are out of the question, she could certainly do a shallow kiddie pool for ducky fun. It’s shallow enough to let her stand on good leg/not drown from fatigue but still enough water that she can be a true to self waterfowl.

Hope for the best <3

I am so sorry for your poor baby. I wish I could save this video I seen today or at least copy the link for you. This lady made a prosthetic leg for her duck! She said that she was looking into going to a local school and see if the students would make a prototype on a 3D printer.Here is a screen shot I got of the video. Don't give up, this is proof that many things can happen if we think outside the box!!!
IMG_0537.PNG

Back
Top Bottom