HELP!!! Duck pipped at the wrong end.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazeemomma, Apr 20, 2017.

1. crazeemomma

crazeemomma Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    Our little mallard/pekin cross has pipped at the wrong end. He his still making noise and trying to move but stuck. Today is day 28 of the hatch and the rest of the pipped ones are right. Temp is at 99.5 and humidity is at 73. I can see its little beak and eye. At what point do I help? [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Since he didn't actually internally pip, because of the malposition, treat the time he externally pipped as when he would have internally pipped. So count 24 hours from then to give time from that. Then, I would wait another 24 hours before starting to worry, because they can easily take that long from the time of external pip to finish absorbing anything. At that point, it might be ready for you to help it, or, with luck, it will start to zip itself. They can oftentimes still get themselves out when they pip at the wrong end like this.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I'm not a hands on hatcher, I've only assisted once and although it was successful I don't usually interfere... it looks like the duckling is making good progress though,,,, I would let the duckling go see the progress it makes and if you feel the need to assist do so carefully... I won't give instructions on assisting as I am not an expert but their are great threads on here to look at

4. crazeemomma

crazeemomma Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    The way it broke through the shell was on the downside so I am not sure when it started to pip. I noticed the shell around the bottom this morning.

5. crazeemomma

crazeemomma Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    [​IMG] Does this little one look Ok? It is our first one to progress.

6. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    looks ok to me it's getting there

7. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I'm not sure if you are opening the incubator or not but if you are you may want to stop it can cause shrink wrapping

8. crazeemomma

crazeemomma Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    We have a huge window at the top [​IMG]

9. crazeemomma

crazeemomma Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    Thank you for your help. We have hatched 11 babies so far. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by