1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Duck prolapsed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TwoDogFarm, Jan 31, 2015.

1. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Earlier today, I noticed my favorite duck was not acting like herself. We picked her up and she has prolapsed. We read some advice on here and here's what we have done so far: we let her soak in warm Epsom salt water for an hour, my husband coated the organ with Preparation H, then he put some KY jelly on it and gently pushed it back inside. We put her in a small dog kennel and not even five minutes later, she pooped and it came right back out. We pushed it back in but we don't know what to do now. Right now its in but i dont know for how long. Please help. [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I really wouldn't soak her in espom salt water for this situation, you don't want that to get into her system through her cloaca. Maybe you could try cool/lukewarm water instead? That might help her pull things back in, warm water is more for relaxing them when they are egg bound and need to let the muscles go. This girl kind of needs the opposite. The Preparation H and KY jelly were perfect though, so maybe try this whole process one more time? Soaking in cooler water and then Preparation H and KY to gently push it back in again? If it still doesn't want to stay in, I would highly suggest a vet visit very soon. It's very important to get the prolapse back in.

It definitely looks a bit better now than it did before though, so hopefully it will go back in and stay better for you the next try. :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    I checked her this morning and she's so much worse. It's the size of an egg now and she is barely moving. I don't want to lose her but I don't know what to do. I'm not sure if an egg is there. This is my favorite duck...

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you actually feel the prolapse to see if an egg is in there Sometimes lubing it up real well you can maneuver the egg out. then slather prep h on the prolapse and gently push back inside. vet would be best.

6. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Oh my, maybe she is egg-bound after all and her trying to push it out is what has caused the prolapse. :/ Does it feel like there's an egg inside the prolapse? I would read through that link Amiga gave you up there and also try to get her to a vet as fast as possible if you can. This sounds pretty serious and I'm not sure just the soaking and Preparation H/KY treatment alone is going to work. I would definitely give it another try, but a vet would be best at this point.

7. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    We lost her...she's gone and I'm a mess right now. Thanks for all the advice. We did what we could.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

9. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Oh no, so sorry for your loss. :(

10. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps