1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Duck suddenly limping really badly, VERY hot leg!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mccluckers, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    I have a female call x mallard and last night she was running around foraging...etc but this morning she can't walk just shuffles with difficulty.She can't use her leg at all really but can swim normally. The leg is VERY hot as in you can feel the heat before you touch it. The bottoms of her feet seem fine, also the heat is everywhere in the leg and foot, even the webbing.

What could have caused this so suddenly?

Eta: I just went to see her again and she was laying an egg, she got up and started walking, still with a very bad limp but she was walking! I think the pond helped to soothe it abit, I am wondering if it is just where she's pulled her leg or something and it is just inflammed

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could have had the egg laying on the nerves too sometimes that can happen then after they lay things get back to normal.

How is she this morning.

3. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    The same as my eta. sh has played her egg as is still limping,and with a hot leg.

could it just be inflamed or something from falling over or rough mating?

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could be but look at her leg really close from top to bottom to make sure there isn't a scratch or cut you may have over looked. Sounds like an infection or sprain

Drakes can injure ducks with rough breeding but that may not be the cause. If you have any Epsom salt you might try soaking her legs I say legs because it's easier to do both than have them straddle a bucket. 1 cup of Epsom salt to 1 gal of nice warm water mix well and place her feet first into bucket hold onto her. let her soak at least 5-10min longer if she'll let you. and keep her from running around or keep the drake from mating with her till she is able to walk normal.

Epsom salt is also a laxative so don't let her drink the water.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    i had a really good look and there isn't any cuts or anything,how do i stop the drake from mating with her? she isn't running around she just kinda walks between the pool the food and her favourite snoozing place! all within 5 meters of each other.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Only way I know is to either put him or her in their own space for a while so she can have time to recover.

7. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Ok, I will keep you up to date with her progress.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you can maybe consider getting a couple more females so this one isn't used so much by the drake.

9. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    i have 5 ducklings in the brooder at the moment so i am hoping there will be only one drake. we'll see though

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You do? why have we not seen pics? what breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by