Help Duck Trapped in fence for 2 days what can I do to bring him back to health

TerriL

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Holden, Missouri
One of my 6 year old ducks put his head through the fence and them wanted out so he put his head through the fence opening next to the one he originally put his head through and the stuck his beak sideways so he could not move. I think he was there for 2 days. I cut him out and brought him in the house. He cannot hold his head up or stand or walk. Where he was trapped there is a mile of mucus and his mouth is full of mucus. His breathing is labored.

I gave him some water but did not want to give him too much at first. So now I am giving him Pediatric Electrolytes which is like Pedialyte. I am letting him drink until he coughs. I cannot leave it down for him since he cannot hold his head up. He has been in the house for 16 hours and is still alive. I did inject him with LA200, it was the only type of antibiotic I had at the time and I was afraid of an infection.

I would like to give him something to eat put I am not sure what he could get down does anyone have any experience like this I really need some ideas please.

Terri

Oh, tough situation!

Ducks are very resilient.

Put some Poultry nutri-drench in water and let him drink that - it has a few vitamins and some calories in it.

Keep him relatively warm, in a safe, clean environment where you can keep checking on him.

Chat with him - try to reassure him - I feel ducks hear our tone and it helps.

Are there abrasions? My duck got caught in a fence nearly the same way, but only for an hour, and had abrasions on her bill and shoulder. If there are any abrasions, rinse those off with saline solution or spritz a little Vetericyn on them if you have it.

You might try propping him up with rolled up towels in a U shape.

Hello and thanks for your ideas. I will see if I can find the things you mentioned. I have him proped up but he keeps scooting around so he has some energy. I am not sure why he cannot control his head I hope the nerves are not damaged. I will let you know how he get along. Thanks again Terri

I suspect between the dehydration and muscle pulls he cannot use his muscles right now. Give him time, as I wrote before, ducks are very resilient. Good nutrition, rehydration, appropriate warmth and assurance will go a long way.

Please keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom