1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Duck trying to Hatch!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducky101, Jul 9, 2016.

1. ducky101

ducky101 New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    [​IMG]

2. debbie50chicks

debbie50chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida

Is hatchling moving and chirping?
    I can't believe I'm giving advise but I just had my first duckling assisted delivery this morning...so hears what worked for me. Take a cotton swab and dip in warm water. Carefully dab moist swab onto the membrane, taking care not to get water near the ducklings nostrils. I worked on mine under a heat lamp. If the hatchling is active, let him do some stretching. How long has he been in his current stage of hatching?

3. debbie50chicks

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    Mine had internally pipped 3 days ago, but was unable to penetrate the shell. I made the initial opening. I have to post pictures.

4 days ago, my neighbor down the street found an abandoned nest of muscovies. Two new hatchlings and 5 eggs. He asked me if I would try to save them.
    I have absolutely NO EXPERIENCE with ducks at all. I had talked to him in the past about how I would love to get some muscovies. He has a lot of wild ones back by his pond.

Well, I brought them home. I didn't have an incubator. My two homemade ones for my chicks were not functional any longer.
    I put them in a plastic laundry bin...placed my heat lamp over them and filled two empty baby wipes container
    with very warm water and covered the bin with two blankets leaving an opening for the heat lamp. I couldn't find my thermometers so I proceeded by just feeling temp and humidity with my hand. I KNOW! Talk about primitive!

4. debbie50chicks

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    The two hatchlings have been doing very well. Two of the four eggs were cold when I got home. I candle them...no movement except for fluid. They had no fetuses.
    I could see that the remaining three eggs had fetuses but only one had movement. I kept the three in my makeshift warmer/humidifier along with the two hatchlings. Yesterday, I candle again, expecting to see no movement in all three eggs. Still had movement in one. I couldn't believe I still had one viable egg! I've lost so many chicks during incubation before any successful hatchlings...and that was with thermometers with humidity readings...turning eggs...and lock downs.

5. debbie50chicks

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    The viable egg had internally pipped two days ago, so this morning with no signs of external pipping, I candled...saw the beak and made my tiny opening using the pointed end of my manicure scissors. I immediately saw the little beak start pecking at the opening. I knew now the membrane would start to dry out, so I started taking little chips of the shell away from the opening because I needed to get moisture into the membrane and I needed a big enough opening as to not get any water into the hatchlings nostrils. As I began to chip away at the shell, some membrane tore away also, so I had a little bleeding from the ruptured veins. I was applying moisture using a cotton swab dipped in warm water so when I saw the little bleeders, I applied pressure with the Qtip and the bleeding subsided.

6. debbie50chicks

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    Now with the opening large enough that I could see the little one breathing and I had no further bleeding, I just let the hatchling do some moving and stretching on its own. I set the egg on top of the baby wipes container, over the very warm water and covered the bin again with blankets to maintain the heat. I set my timer for 15 minutes and would add more moisture to the membranes. After an hour, I began chipping away again at the shell and adding moisture (no further bleeding) till I knew the baby could kick out of the remaining shell. I then placed the hatchling down in the base of the laundry bin with its siblings. We'll one of the ducklings came over to assist his new brother/sister. He helped remove some of the membrane and was helping with the shell removal. I couldn't believe my eyes!

7. debbie50chicks

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    Now, I'll try to upload the pictures I have of this incredible event. To top it off...the new hatchling and I will have the same birthdays!
    Now remember,...I said I have absolutely no experience at all with ducks, but if the size of the beaks and feet are any indicators of sex, I have two boys and a gurl! :-D

8. debbie50chicks

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    [​IMG]
    My first day with the two hatchlings and 5 eggs.

9. debbie50chicks

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    [​IMG]
    Second picture...first day.

10. debbie50chicks

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    [​IMG]
    Exhausted baby...first day.