Help! Duck with broken wing/ discolored skin

hayleyasaurus

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2011
East Windsor
Hi, two days ago I found my one year old cayuga in her pen with her wing hanging down. I took her inside to examine her then discovered that she had somehow been attacked all of the feather where her wing connects to her body were gone and she had a cut that was oozing. I've been keeping her inside washing her cut with saline spray, putting neosporin on her cut, wrapping her wing in place with gauze, and gave her anibiotics I had left over from the vet. I thought she was getting better but when I just washed her wounds I saw that the skin near the cut has turned a greenish color. I'm very worried for her now. Does anyone know why this happened and what I could do to fix it? Thanks

Is the wing broken? If not take her to the kitchen sink. Set her in the sink and use the kitchen sprayer to wash out the wounds. Do not stop quickly. You need to spray out the wound until all of the infection is gone. It will smell bad. Just keep hosing it until you see pink flesh. You must remove all of the infection. Now you can apply antibiotic spray. You can also get antibiotics at places like Rural king and Pet shops. These you can give orally. If the wing is broken you should not do this. Good luck

Last edited:
Try posting in the emergencies folder.

Broken wings can be serious. The green skin could be bruised or could be infection. If the skin is broken, I'd advise getting a vet to look at it.

[Edited to add] Remember that if you are eating the eggs of this duck, and esp if you ever want to sell or give away the eggs of this duck, to be very sure about the drugs you are giving. You don't want anyone eating any drugs with their yolk. [end edit]

Hope the duck gets better soon.

Last edited:
Thank you!
I'm pretty sure it's broken but I'm not sure how to be sure if it is. She can move it but it's hanging low and looks like it hard for her to move it like when she did get it out of the wrap she moved it slower than the other

If it's broken, it needs to be kept wrapt/splinted. It's a broken bone, and they take weeks to heal. Don't let her move it by herself when you are changing the wrap, she'll undo the healing that started.

Thanks for the responses! I ended up taking her to the vet and he wrapped it up really well for her it doesn't seem to be bothering her as much too:)

Back
Top Bottom