Help! Duck with Heat Exhaustion? Maybe poison? PASSED AWAY

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LuckyDuck411, Jul 20, 2011.

1. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I went outside a bit ago and only 2 of my ducks were in their tub swimming. The temps here have been in the 90s for days. I looked for the other duck and found her inside the duck house with vomit everywhere! I picked her up and misted her with the hose and cleaned her up and she cannot stand.

Is this heat exhaustion?

Right now she is inside in the bathroom tub. She is no longer panting and I'm hoping it was just the heat that got to her. Although I did find a small piece of metal in her vomit. I'm thinking it was a piece of a melted aluminum can from our firepit that we noticed she got into this morning.

Any information would be helpful!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is she drinking? If she ingested ashes, she could have burned her esophagus.

If it's not too bad, a little apple cider vinegar in water (three or four tablespoons to the gallon) might help.

In any case, getting her to drink as much fresh water as possible is a good idea, as is keeping her at a cooler temperature for a while.

Has she passed anything out her vent? is there blood? any swelling around her tummy?

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Also, you might consider editing the title of the topic to add (or poisoning) and see if someone doesn't chime in on that possibility.

4. LuckyDuck411

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Is drank alittle. She has a bowl of peas and water. She ate a few peas and drank some water.

We haven't used the fire pit since we got the duck because of the smoke from fires. So probably not much ash left. There is lava rock in there though.

I have not see her defecate at all since I moved her inside. Its been maybe 30 mins since she came in. No signs of blood or swelling either.

She is in the cold quiet bathroom. The other two ducks seem to be doing just fine, then again they are ALWAYS in their tub of water when it gets hot out.

Quote:

5. LuckyDuck411

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    She just passed away. Not sure what happened to her. I'm guessing the heat, but I just don't know. Not really sure what to do with her now as we live in a subdivision and can't just bury a 11 lbs duck. [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If you have flower beds you can bury her, just make the hole deep enough something won't smell her and dig, So sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm sorry [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That's tough. It's an expense but you might consider a necropsy to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by