Help! Duck with severe respiratory virus

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by misskate, Aug 22, 2011.

1. misskate

misskate Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Hello! I am new to this site... Our Indian Runner has a respiratory infection and I am seeking help/advice. It went on for a couple of weeks before we took serious action because this is our first time around with this kind of situation. Well, we are learning a lot quickly and it is rather stressful.

First we noticed her eye was bubbly and foamy. We thought it was an eye infection and separated her from the others and rinsed her eye with salt water and chamomile throughout the day and gave her her own personal clean water. After a couple of days she returned with the others because it looked like it had improved.

Then she got bad again... her eye, her little nostrils were clogged, and she smelled like rot around her upper beak. We brought her inside and she lived in the bathtub for 3 days/ 3 nights. We put her on penicillin and removed some of rot from the clogged areas. We put the penicillin in her infected eye and around the sore in her upper beak. Not much improvement to report.

Now- to note.... she seems to be fighting it- she is showing no signs of pain from her behavior... and she is our biggest strongest duck still! Her breathing is heavy and impaired a bit- and her eye and sores are looking very swollen and bad.

Today we got Tylon 50 and plan on injecting her tonite. We couldn't do it this morning because it was stressful finding a good spot in her chest muscle. I have read that it can be injected behind the neck as well. Any advice? Is there a better spot? How do we know where it is okay to inject...? Tonight we will inject her and I am really hoping for some positive changes... because it feels pretty extreme right now- like... if this doesn't work- I don't know what else to do!

Our 3 other ducks and 2 chickens are perfectly fine. They have been around her for weeks and have shown no signs of infection--- do we need to worry?

Is there anything we should do or know? Has anyone experienced this? Is there still hope for her? Anything will be helpful.

Thanks!

Kate and sweet lil Mable.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Hey, I noticed that you said that you have Indian Runners. Although, I don't have Indian Runners, I was able to find a link that may help you a little. In the meantime, have you adminstered the Tylan yet?

http://www.runnerduck.net/diseases.htm

ETA: I would suggest that anytime any of your animals have a respiratory problem, you should immediately remove that animal from the others and isolate the animals. A respiratory problem is VERY contagious and could affect all of your animals. It's better to be safe and sorry. Although they may not be exhibiting any problems now, they may in the future. An avian vet explained to me that sometimes an animal may have a respiratory problem but may not exhibit any signs until it's too late. I guess since they have been together all this time, it may be too late to isolate them.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. misskate

Aug 22, 2011
    Hey. Thanks. We have not given her the tylan yet... Will in a couple of hours when my honey gets home from work... But I was just out with her and am amazed at how strong she is. I gave her a warm bath with a little chamomile flowers and she is being sweet... Hopefully medicine helps her.

4. misskate

Aug 22, 2011
    Oh- and she has been isolated for the last four days but there was a lot of time before that she wasn't. Not sure what to do about that.

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Well, you should just concentrate on getting her well. Sometimes when our animals appear to have gotten better, we should make sure that we continue to full course of the meds/treatment (whatever the case may be) until all days of the treatment have been completed.

Another excellent antibiotic is Baytrill but you can only get that from a vet. I don't know if you can call you vet up and ask for some meds but that would be great. Baytrill is better than Tylan. The vet would know the dosage. If not, I think I have that info in my Duck Care Notes on my laptop.

I had a duck that had botulism and I adminstered Tylan and it was difficult finding a good place It's difficult to find the breast but I administered the injection in that area.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hopefully now with the treatment you will start to see a positive result. Something to watch for is swelling in the cheeks. The respiratory tract that connects to both the eyes and nostrils can become blocked or infected. If left that can become fatal. Making sure her nostril are cleaned out is very important- you say she has a sore on her beak- does it look infected at all?

I had a duck on various antibiotics for 5 months once after a respiratory infection turned bad, trying to make sure he got all his pills every day was not fun. He hated the tube I was given by the vet- so I kept coming up with different ways to hide it in food. The advise kuntrygirl gives on making sure they finish a whole course of antibiotics is very important. If the duration is not long enough- stronger medication may be needed the second time around and may be slower to take effect.

Best of luck with your girl. Is sound like she is in caring hands.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just wanted to add that Twin City Poultry has injectable Baytril.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Is that online? Do you need a script or can anyone order it? That is soooooo cool if you don't need a script! THANK YOU for that info Miss Lydia. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by