HELP! DUCK WON'T EAT

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mamabear28, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Mamabear28

Mamabear28 In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2017
    South Georgia
    One of my magpies girls are one of my only ducks that were attacked and made it out alive i found her with a broken leg and meat missing from her neck. A few on her chest and under her wings a week ago. I put her in her own pen with food and water but she won't eat and her leg stuff isn't better the wonds are healing but she getting so light I'm scared so won't make it. The only time i see her drink is when i put her in the pool be herself. Please help!!!

2. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    Your poor duck! :( I would think that a week is too long for it to be shock, and with her drinking too, but i think if the wounds are healing well then it is unlikely to be an infection, but I could easily be wrong!!
    Can you take her to a vet ASAP?
    What have you tried to feed her? wet food? her favorite treats? I'm not sure what else to suggest as I haven't been in this position but if nobody else comes along soon, you could give this page a read while you're waiting if nothing else x

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-long-can-a-duck-survive-without-food.1002332/

3. Berrybirds

Berrybirds In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    I would get her some electrolytes and put it in water and try to give it to her. I’m not 100% sure that it works but if it doesn’t bring her to a vet. You could also find her favorite treat and try to give them to her. If nothing works you might want to put her down but that is last case scenario. I’m sorry that your ducks got attacked.

4. Mamabear28

Jul 24, 2017
    South Georgia

I wish i had the money to bring her to the vet but sadly i don't. And iv tired grains laying pellets and flock rasier. Nothing. I do have her away from the other ducks so she alone could she be depressed? She i put her pen into their? I don't want to put her on her own with them I'm scared the male will hurt her

5. Mamabear28

Jul 24, 2017
    South Georgia
    Pics of her

Attached Files:

6. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    It might also be good if this post was moved to the emergency/injury section, not too sure how tho....

7. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    Is that after her attack or before? I would keep her separated myself, especially if she has any outward signs of injury to avoid any sort of pecking. Does she call to the others at all? can she see them without having contact?
    If you haven't yet then please do read that other post, it's not as morbid as the title suggests but about a duck in a similar situation to yours! Several things on there you could try, and in the meantime i will try and get this moved, unless you have any objections to that?

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do an on site search on 'tube feeding ducks'

@casportpony, can you help here ?

Miss Lydia and Kessel23 like this.
  9. Mamabear28

Jul 24, 2017
    South Georgia

No she can't see or hear them i moved them to my turkey pen and she in the front of the house about 3 acres away. And that was from a few hrs ago aka a week since she was attacked. And no i don't have any objections to that

10. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    I think if she was not eating because she missed her flock then she would be trying to call to them to find them, although injuries could prevent that I suppose :/
    She's looking really good all things considered! Are you certain she's not eating anything at all? could she be eating when you aren't watching? I would not expect her to be standing and looking so alert etc if she had eaten nothing at all in a whole week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: