HELP!! Duckings and chicks, are they ok together?

kaylove

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
I have 3 baby chicks now..and want one duckling..could they stay together in the same box? would they get along? thanks!

How old are they? If they are still very young, then you could probably put them in without any problems, but sometimes it doesn't work out (They fight). If you are willing to try it (In other words, you are OKAY with them fighting, and chance of injury), then go ahead, but there is nothing we can do to guarantee they won't fight (It's a matter of luck, and age).

(P.S. It's WAY better if the duckling is only a few days old)
-Also, ducks are pack animals, and do WAY better with more of their kind, so you will be better off getting two ducklings.

I have some together right now, two two week old baby chicks (one japanese and one nankin so they are to tiny to be with the others) and two 3 day old ducklings and they are doing fine. I think the biggest concern would be the wet environment the ducks tend to make being to wet for the baby chicks. But I also added my adult call duck pair in with my adult layer flock with no problem, they tend to ignore each other.

I don't ever brood them together, because as the other poster said-wet environment is bad for baby chicks-they chill easily.
Also, as was pointed out, 1 duckling is not a good idea. Ducks always need another of their own kind-they're very social creatures and very flock oriented.

thanks guys, i just dont want to clip the duclings wings when i'ts older..or when it's time. is it scary to do so? are duckings harder to take care of than chicks? ime njoying taking care of chicks! theyre my babies.

Quote:
Please keep what I, and easttxchick have said, ducks are pack animals, so get two. No, it's not scary to clip a ducklings wings (you're just clipping the feathers, not the wings, so no blood.) Yes, they are harder to care for than chicks. They also require a different setup (like swimming water). Also, please do your research before getting them, and thinking they are just like chicks. Honestly, for you I would suggest waiting until the chicks are adults, before considering a duckling, so you can be sure you can do it.

(not all duck breeds fly, so some wings you don't have to clip. Like I said, it takes a lot of research before getting one!)
wink.png

Quote:
Please keep what I, and easttxchick have said, ducks are pack animals, so get two. No, it's not scary to clip a ducklings wings (you're just clipping the feathers, not the wings, so no blood.) Yes, they are harder to care for than chicks. They also require a different setup (like swimming water). Also, please do your research before getting them, and thinking they are just like chicks. Honestly, for you I would suggest waiting until the chicks are adults, before considering a duckling, so you can be sure you can do it.

(not all duck breeds fly, so some wings you don't have to clip. Like I said, it takes a lot of research before getting one!)
wink.png

Best advice ever for someone thinking about getting ducks. They are horribly messy, stinky, wet, nasty...if you aren't prepared for it, it can be quite a shock.
Having said that, if you are willing to put up with all of that, it is unbelievably rewarding.
smile.png

Good luck!

Last edited:
I agree with the other posters, get at least 2 ducklings and make sure you read up on them. They love water and fill have the bedding soaked in a short amount of time which isn't good for the chicks. You shouldn't need to clip their wings either as most breeds of domestic ducks cannot fly.

I don't brood the chicks/ducklings together because of the mess involved with the ducklings but once they go out to the grow out pen I have had them together as there is more space in the grow out pen thus the chicks can get away from the duckling mess.

And I keep ducks and chickens together when they are adults. I would also get at least 3 ducklings as they like their own kind even with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom