1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! duckling & excessive drinking (?!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggybritches, Jan 21, 2010.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I have a runner duckling that is about two weeks old, and today as I was sitting and watching her drink I noticed that instead of taking a few drinks and then going back to do whatever ducks do when they're not eating/drinking, she didn't leave the water bowl. She sat there for a good five minutes just drinking and drinking and drinking. I've never seen this before so I scolded her and when she stood up to walk away all kinds of water poured up and out of her mouth and nose. I freaked out a little, I'm not going to lie. And then she sat back down and started drinking again. She stood up, threw the water up. I could hear her gurgling past it. I ran a tub for her and I placed her in the water so she could rinse off or dunk her head or something, which she did, but she also kept drinking. I placed my hand in there so she could sit down and rest and she wouldn't drink, but she'd still lift her head and make little drinking noises like she were drinking. When I placed her back in her pen she vomited the water back up again.

What's wrong with my duck?

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    My duckling did this one day. It freaked me out! I gave him a bath to clean the drool/slobber off him....and every time I thought he was done drinking, water would pour out his mouth and nose holes. Finally I got a glass of water and sat down at my laptop and started to post about it. I took a drink of water. It was SALTY! Somehow our water softener had backed up a little while going through its cleaning cycle and there was salt in the water. I gave him a bowl of bottled water and he stopped drooling.

I did post about it that day and nobody even answered, so I'm guessing its not a common problem. Try some bottled water....maybe that will help.
    Good luck!

3. eggybritches

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Thank you. She only drinks bottled water, though. And even if she didn't we don't have a water softening system. I'm really perplexed.

I don't know if I should take the water away. I'm afraid her body is telling her she's dehydrated. I have no idea what to do for her.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am replying to try to keep this "up" on the list. This is worrisome. [​IMG] Is there any other weird behavior?

5. eggybritches

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    No, other than that she's acting pretty normal. She's being a lot more clingy tonight than usual. As soon as I walk out of sight she starts crying for me, but that's more personality than health.

/sigh

I'm just worried about my baby.

I did end up completely changing out the water. I also took away the water bowl and put in a dish that we use to eat off of just in case there was some contaminate there (although I've used that waterer for three other batches of ducklings and have never had this problem).

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is it possible that something is stuck in her throat? Can you look down her throat? (tough to do, but might be worth a try), or can you feel if there is anything lodged in her throat?

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't know anything about ducks, but googled ducks over drinking. Mostly came up with nothing, seems to be somewhat common and of little importance.

Did find this:

Over-drinking
    Ducklings can over-drink water. This occurs when there is a period of time when there is no water for them to drink, and then suddenly it is re-supplied. They then over-drink. This can lead to a condition known as Staggers and can quickly result in death. This is only likely to occur when the ducklings are enclosed and there is an inconsistent supply of clean water.

Imp- hope yours are OK.

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Are you sure she is not behaving like other ducks? As in cleaning her nostrils and playing in the water? Mine would not even stay out of the water when they were younger. They played and made a mess. I hope what you think is vomiting is something normal. I hope your duckie is alright. Maybe someone else with more knowledge will see this.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wracking my brain here . . . [​IMG] I quickly went through Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks and only found one reference to extreme thirst. Sadly, that can occur when ducks contract an awful herpes virus. And I cannot believe your little one has been around sick waterfowl, domestic or wild. . . .

That is why I am wondering if it might be something stuck in her esophagus. A little while - a few hours - without food and water is not likely to hurt her. If you cannot find anything in her throat, she may have once had something stuck that left an "ouchie." Hmmm a duck with a sore throat. What kind of healthy treat might soothe a sore throat?

Wish I could come up with something definitive. Those are my best thoughts right now, and I need to turn in soon.

You are in my prayers.

(we need a praying smiley)

10. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Yes ducklings can easily overdrink and die... Take the water away right now. After a little bit, introduce it back in intervals, always supervise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by