Help!- duckling foaming in mouth and nostrils gasping to breathe(update-piece of hay came out baby o

Nigella was like this when we got up today. What could it be and what do we do? Xerxes is ok so far.

Does his nostrils look plugged? maybe it has food caked in there.

Maybe put some warm water into a bowl and gently agitate his head iin it to make sure nostrils aren't caked.

Last edited:
My daughter got her a deep bowl of water and she kept drinking and her nostrils are clear, but she still keeps gasping. I think she may have aspirated some mash into her lungs. They had turned their water into mash before we got up.

My daughter got her a deep bowl of water and she kept drinking and her nostrils are clear, but she still keeps gasping. I think she may have aspirated some mash into her lungs. They had turned their water into mash before we got up.

I am sorry about that, i hope she didn't, I don't know what you can do about that. I'll see if I can find out..

I just checked on her again and she is eating and drinking and not gasping now. Whew, she scared me. I'll keep a close eye on her and make sure she is really ok.

My daughter thought of that too and it didn't seem to bring anything up, but maybe the foaming brought it up because there were some particles in the foam after the bubbles went away. My daughter just told me a little piece of hay came out with the foam too.

If you are using hay i would remove it immediatly ducklings will eat it and can get impacted from it, use pine shavings with the rubber shelf stuff for at least 2 weeks or pee pads or paper towels over top. by 2 weeks they probably won't try to eat the shaving.. Mine didn't. make sure to get flake shavings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom